Facelift Rear Light Issues

sebseb8

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 facelift A3 and have noticed the LED's in the rear light clusters aren't looking right.

Firstly, the nearside cluster is dimmer than the offside and secondly the clusters on the boot don't light up at all. I have attached a picture to show the issues.

If anyone has any idea at all what could be wrong then please let me know.

Thanks,
Photo

Last edited:
When I fitted the LED rear lights to my 55reg Audi A3, my light clusters on the boot were not lighting up either.
Figured out that I needed to attach 2 wires to the registration light wire to provide power for the led's.

However if yours is a facelift a3 then they would have come factory fitted and shouldnt be an issue like that.

Could be quite possible that the clusters have gone faulty as I know someones who did, but that was only 1 side.
Might be worth just disconnecting the plug behind and attaching it again or checking to see if any water has sneaked inside!

When I fitted the LED rear lights to my 55reg Audi A3, my light clusters on the boot were not lighting up either.
Figured out that I needed to attach 2 wires to the registration light wire to provide power for the led's.

However if yours is a facelift a3 then they would have come factory fitted and shouldnt be an issue like that.

Could be quite possible that the clusters have gone faulty as I know someones who did, but that was only 1 side.
Might be worth just disconnecting the plug behind and attaching it again or checking to see if any water has sneaked inside!

Thanks, they should have worked yeah. I can't remember if I've ever seen them working. I'm going to remove the cover panel in the morning. If they don't work with default wiring I may well do the same as you.

Anyone else got any ideas?

That's the only one, as they pick up their power from the grey wire on the number plate lights. There is a wire from each side that doesn't have a plug on and just splices into the grey wire.

I had the boot liner off yesterday and it appears the right hand cluster didn't work due to corrosion on the contacts. The left cluster was a different matter, it was getting less than 2V on the feed so took a feed from the right hand cluster. All working.

The left had outer cluster is still a bit dim but I haven't worked out what the three connectors are going into the LED control board. Anybody have any information on theses?

Thanks,

Guys,

Could anyone give me the voltages required on these three connectors? They feed the LED driver board in the outer cluster of the facelift model.

I want to know so I can test it at full power to ensure the cluster actually works. This is the one that is slightly dimmer than the other clusters.

5554649aaefd009434884674c7ad382e.jpg

Thanks