Retrofitting Pre-sense?

Zygote

Reaction score
When I got my lovely A3 I only opted in for the basic Pre-Sense package. However, I suspect the various Pre-sense levels are software implementations only and can somehow be unlocked? I have the ACC, so the necessary equipment and tech should already be in there.

Anyone have any ideas if this is something that can be "retrofitted" by simply asking the dealer nicely, obviously paying a fee and have them unlock the feature?

I thought pre sense basic was the highest level of pre sense available on the a3?

I thought pre sense basic was the highest level of pre sense available on the a3?
+1
You get "Pre-Sense Front" included with the ACC which does warnings and brake assist
The only other option is "Pre-Sense Basic" which tensions the seatbelts and closes the windows/sunroof

I always thought that the Pre-Sense Basic option sounded fairly pointless - in my experience when things really go wrong there isn't going to be nearly enough time for the car to close the windows and the sunroof!

Haha yea see where you're coming from. Maybe they close at super rapid speed. Just hope you don't have a limb hanging out the window lol

+1
You get "Pre-Sense Front" included with the ACC which does warnings and brake assist
The only other option is "Pre-Sense Basic" which tensions the seatbelts and closes the windows/sunroof

I always thought that the Pre-Sense Basic option sounded fairly pointless - in my experience when things really go wrong there isn't going to be nearly enough time for the car to close the windows and the sunroof!

Ah, thanks! :) I guess that settles that!

So... wonder if pre-sense basic can be turned on? Is there any physical equipment that comes with it, or is it all software?

So... wonder if pre-sense basic can be turned on? Is there any physical equipment that comes with it, or is it all software?

It looks like you get additional seat belt tensioners. Standard seatbelt tensioners are single use pyrotechnics but the pre-sense basic uses an electrical tensioner which can be fired repeatedly. Presumably the electrical tensioners are a lot slower otherwise you would think they would fit them as standard since the pyrotechnic ones are a pain.

They have even supplied a helpful video in case we were struggling with the concept of a reusable seat belt tensioner:

The tensioners are a fair idea but I really don't see how closing the windows helps when you are sliding on ice! I guess in a motorway pile-up where a car could hit you several seconds after you have had an accident then the window closing could be beneficial.