Evo Tyre Test 2014 Rates Contisportcontact 5's As Best!

Joetidman

Reaction score
I know a lot of people knock these tyres on here, which are standard on the S3, but I've yet to see mine put a foot wrong (although was a little nervous about how they would be in winter) but saw the latest Evo tyre report on my ipad and they came top of those tested including on wet surfaces. So pretty pleased they came out top, maybe Audi's extensive testing was worth it...

Overall Results below

FINAL RESULTS
TyrePercentage
1Continental95.8
2Pirelli93.6
3Goodyear92.1
4Yokohama90.5
5Michelin89.8
6Vredestein89.2
7Toyo88.2
8Hankook87.8
9Dunlop87.2
10Bridgestone85.2

Reactions: 45bvtc
You not a fan veeeight?

No.......... :(

My 8P S3 had GY Assy2's on it, had more grip wet and dry, than the 8V S3 :(

Comparison made on the same roads, same roundabouts, similar conditions.

I'm not saying the Conti5 is a bad tyre, it lends the car more steering "feel" (in an Audi !!!) than the GoodYears, the GY's just make the steering light.

But - noise levels, the GY is quieter than the Conti5's.

Dry grip, not that much in it, but on wet grip I thought the GY's had the advantage.

Reactions: Joetidman
Must admit I've yet to find mine lose grip even in the wet yanking it round a roundabout like a yob, traction control light never yet even been on. Maybe I need to try and put it on it roof to find the limit!

Most of the negative press on here wrt Conti's has been around noise rather than performance.

Anything in the report on noise?

Btw - perfectly happy with my conti's

Nothing specific, they came joint 3rd on the road route which looked at noise, comfort, and feel. I think the bridgestones came top on noise

I suspect the 19's I have contribute to the noise. The test tyres were all 17's on a golf GTi PP

Is it just the S3 that comes on the Contis? What about the 184 TDI S-Line?

I think the Contis clearly get the best overall result on that test,but may not suit every individual.

I liked the Goodyears when I had them,and found the PS3's almost as good,but with less maximum dry grip,and better wet grip,but much better life than the Assy's.

The Toyo and Yokos deliver much as you'd expect(and as I've found),being aimed at dry performance.

Depends on what you want.

I use Toyo R888s in summer,and swap to Michelin Supersports for the rest of the time.

Reactions: Joetidman
A quick look in the RS3 forum shows how hated the Conti 5's are on that car ;)

My 184 TDI quattro, delivered in March 2014, came with Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tyres. I am more than happy with them as they provide good performance and are quiet.

Good! I was actually hoping to NOT have the contis due to the noise. Especially as I'm on a fully maintained lease including tyres where I assume you can't insist on an alternative brand when they're replaced.

Don't forget that Dave has 17" wheels though. Audi seem to use a variety of brands on the 16 & 17" wheels, but most if not all 18" come with Conti's.

A quick look in the RS3 forum shows how hated the Conti 5's are on that car ;)

Yes....interesting isn't it.

I don't know if it's different geometry or what,but it certainly isn't down to power or torque,as mine has coped well on things as lowly as PS3's.

One thing that we all do seem to agree on is what we think of Bridgestones,old and new.

Reactions: veeeight
It was the noise and wear on the Conti's on my TT that annoyed me, I think they were SC3s. They lasted 14 months before being down to the limit. I replaced them with GY Eagle F1s, which still had 5mm tread left on them when I trader her in a 3 years. The drop in noise was noticeable as soon as I started driving GY's, but they also improved the economy of the TT by over 5mpg.

Was a bit disappointed to get the SC 5's on the S3, and thy are loud, but so far handling has been fine. Can't really comment on the economy, but happy with the 34mpg I'm averaging (and I'm not holding back)

It was the noise and wear on the Conti's on my TT that annoyed me, I think they were SC3s. They lasted 14 months before being down to the limit. I replaced them with GY Eagle F1s, which still had 5mm tread left on them when I trader her in a 3 years. The drop in noise was noticeable as soon as I started driving GY's, but they also improved the economy of the TT by over 5mpg.

Was a bit disappointed to get the SC 5's on the S3, and thy are loud, but so far handling has been fine. Can't really comment on the economy, but happy with the 34mpg I'm averaging (and I'm not holding back)

That's a good mpg!

I've not used Conti's of any type on my car,but the noise level from F1's and PS3s is pretty low,and the wear level on the PS3's is excellent,considering the grip.

I found the F1's were finished within 10 000 miles,whereas the PS3's lasted very well by comparison.

Tyre noise......try a set of R888s.....they actually howl....it's like a buzzing sound that gets louder and higher pitched as you speed up.

Mine has Conti 5's.... Bit noisy, but otherwise I'm happy with them.

As to replacements on fully maintained leases - normally the lease company have contracts with tyre companies and you just get them fitted there. They will want a "premium" brand fitted, but you can normally influence that as it is whatever the garage have in at the time.

So if the contis are the best then that is how the car is at it's best. :(

Oh dear. I was hoping that when i change mine I would find the car a better drive as i had with the other car that i got rid of contis on.

I used to subscribe to evo. Continue tyres always seemed to win when tested at the Continental test facility and Goodyear at their facility.
Anyone know where it was this year?

My 1p. The contis grip well but are noisy and have a very poor rim protection lip. I will not replace them with more contis.

Contis are the best according to Evo Magazine, depends what you personally like:

According to tyre reviews, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti are the preferred ones.

Personally (albeit on my A3, not an S3) - i'll be putting Uniroyal RS3's on it as that is what I had on my last car. I think the Contis are massively overpriced for what they are IMHO.

I have the Vreds Ultrac Vorti. Had them for about 5k miles. The wet and dry grip is excellent, but now they're scrubbed in they do roar a bit.

I paid £75 a corner from Camskill, so pretty good value to say the least!