Start / Stop Function

Snibo

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a way that I can turn the Start / Stop Function off without having to press the Dashboard Button every time I start her up i.e. can I make the Dashboard Button remain on all the time.

Cheers.

I can't get the VCDS temperature fudge to work (it won't accept the coding)

This is the biggest thing I hate about my car. It's MY car, and I begrudge the fact that I can't set it up how I want it.
I have to switch Start/Stop off manually every single time I get into the car... for a company that is supposedly so focused on the Driver's experience, I find this disgusting!
I should have the option to spec the car without start/stop and pay the extra tax.

Rant over.

This is the biggest thing I hate about my car. It's MY car, and I begrudge the fact that I can't set it up how I want it.
I have to switch Start/Stop off manually every single time I get into the car... for a company that is supposedly so focused on the Driver's experience, I find this disgusting!
I should have the option to spec the car without start/stop and pay the extra tax.

Rant over.

is it really that bad? Ive got it on my Discovery and its a little slow, but on Audi's its a peach of a system (imho of course).

As far as start stop systems go, it is undoubtedly the best I have come across.

However, in London traffic jams I can't help thinking that it puts a huge amount of wear on components (battery and starter motor) unnecessarily.
Yeah, yeah I know that these parts are beefed up to handle the more frequent start cycles, but the engineer in me can't help but get annoyed.

My other gripe is that for an S3, start/stop at the roundabout or traffic light Grand Prix is a real PITA.

Only my opinion though - kudos to those that love it :-D

My other gripe is that for an S3, start/stop at the roundabout or traffic light Grand Prix is a real PITA.

Only my opinion though - kudos to those that love it :-D

Shove the clutch in and up she fires! Assuming you have a clutch pedal ;)

Rant over.

Wow, that really was a rant! I don't like it either but happy to save on tax for the sake of pushing a button occasionally.

Rant over.

Do you realise how much it costs Audi to put the car through all the certification and tests etc? It'd be a ****** expensive option!

Why not learn to live with it instead, as it's a great system, saves you money, and lowers emissions of the car, all of which are good things!

Reactions: veeeight
A few days in for my 1.4. Not had stop/start before and was very sceptical. Now I have used it a bit around town in the traffic I think it is very well done on the 1.4. Shuts off almost immediately and super quiet again on start up. As noted above if it saving money/lower emissions its got to be a good thing.

Rant over.

It's not Audi's call. The Start/stop function helps drastically reduce the CO2 emissions figure and thus tax. In order for this to happen, it has to be enabled by default when the car first starts up each time. If they added an option to permanently disable it, the emissions figure would be higher and you'd be paying more tax.

Reactions: Snibo and monkeyhanger
After seeing my S3 almost stall and run lumpy after sitting in a car park idling for 20 minutes, I'm starting to think the start/stop function might actually be part of the car's temperature management solution!

BTW, is there a temperature guage on the S3? I think on non-turbo cars it's meant to be wher the boost guage is on the S3, but I can't find it anywhere....

After seeing my S3 almost stall and run lumpy after sitting in a car park idling for 20 minutes, I'm starting to think the start/stop function might actually be part of the car's temperature management solution!

BTW, is there a temperature guage on the S3? I think on non-turbo cars it's meant to be wher the boost guage is on the S3, but I can't find it anywhere....
Correct......S3 boost gauge is where the temp is on A3's. Best you can get is the oil temp, which is displayed when you are in lap timer mode.

If from a fuel efficiency or a cooling point of view the Start/Stop system was that important then surely Audi would not have added a switch to be able the driver to switch the system off every time they got in to the car.

Reactions: IDontLikeSpeedCameras
Hi All,

Thought I'd provide an update after having Audi check this out as it happened again.

They first asked what sort of fuel I'd been running, perhaps expecting me to say 95 RON, with the implication being (I think) that running on 95 would result in the engine tuning back/misfiring like I experienced when it got hot. (sorry, I'm not mechanically minded at all....)

But I've used nothing but the BP Super Unleaded stuff.

Their conclusion was that they don't know what is wrong, some other customers have reported the issue, and for now they are just monitoring. All I really want to do was get it logged that there had been an issue so if there's a serious problem down the line they can't blame me.

Their advice was to not idle the car with the engine running, and always keep the Start/Stop switched on, so it seems to me that there may be a temperature issue with a completely stationary S3 having it's engine running for 20 mins or so, not something I've had an issue with before.

If you're wondering why I would such a thing, it's my understanding that the aircon doesn't work with the engine off, and to be honest I've been able to idle every previous car for 30 mins plus without one ever overheating, so never thought I was doing anything particularly odd.

They said that the car didn't overheat from a water/oil perspective, but rather the petrol behaviour triggered a sensor when the engine got particularly hot.

No idea if I was fobbed off, but 2,000 miles in with the car, it's running beautifully and I love it, so it doesn't bother me unduly.

Cheers!
Nick

Reactions: Simon L
For us US people, I've always wanted to know if I could actually enable this on my 2.0T Quattro petrol car. What is the settings to actually get this back? Or is this start/stop feature require more equipment?