A3 2.0 TDI Sport Clutch woes

peaky83

Reaction score
Hi all,

Tried searching but to be honest not really sure what to search for... ok so here goes:

When cold the bite point for my clutch is right down by the floor, and the top range of the clutch travel feels light and soft, when warm the bite point is much higher and the clutch movement feels as it should for the entire travel range.

Any ideas on where to start or what it might or will likely be?

Interestingly *sometimes* (I've only noticed it 3 times so far) when warm the clutch will appear to slip as if it were wearing out, however I noticed if I pump the clutch while moving with it in gear a couple fo times (At low revs) it sorts itself out and goes away...

I'm really puzzled by this one, any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Dan :tumble:

Try bleeding it, my money is on the slave cylinder though

Hi Lee,

THanks for the reply, I've read up on that and there seems to be a common belief that this causes complete loss of the clutch not only when cold etc, Also, Is it true the whole gearbox needs to be removed as someone said this was just for the quattro, or 3.2 (I think) and not for the 2.0 tdi...? I'm assuming, like most things I'm out of luck and it is indeed a gearbox out job to replace it?

Thanks,

Dan

I am resigned to the fact I will have to replace the slave cylinder.

When the Gearbox is out I am having the clutch replaced too, I wondered if there was anything else I should do while its out/apart?

I am resigned to the fact I will have to replace the slave cylinder.

When the Gearbox is out I am having the clutch replaced too, I wondered if there was anything else I should do while its out/apart?

You are correct in saying the gearbox has to come out for the slave cylinder to be replaced, as it is a "concentric slave cylinder" and lives inside the bell housing.

Whilst the gearbox is off, it is wise to replace the clutch, slave cylinder and inspect the flywheel for play/run out. If it was me I would replace the flywheel regardless, as if it fails it invariably takes the clutch with it. So say you do 100k, replace your clutch and slave cylinder, and 25k later the flywheel goes and takes the clutch with it, you end up with the same labour as before, with the added cost of the flywheel. I'd just do it all at once if it was me.