Help with identifying a leaking pipe

Mark Greenall

Reaction score
Hi I have a loud hiss from front of car under inlet manifold. The pipe is split where it connects to the underneath of intake manifold. What is the pipe called I have searched all morning and cannot find the answer. Thanks for replies in advance. The car is a3 1.8t with agu engine.

Hi Mark

It will be a vacuum pipe. Follow the split pipe each way to determine where it ends up each end. ie: it might go from the inlet manifold to the brake servo or to a vacuum reservoir. You get the idea. Make a note of this to order a new one.

As vacuum sucks not blows (no pressure), as a temporary measure you can easily tape up the pipe with insulation tape and it will stay in place and cure the leak.

Hope this helps

Regards

Marty:blackrs4:

Thanks mate. It goes to a t junction I'm not very savvy with this stuff.

Hi Mark

At the Tee junction, can you undo each connection or is it sealed (made up). If sealed follow to the ends of that each way and make a note, then order that pipe. If you go Audi's they will show you on a screen and you can pick the pipe you require.

Cheers

Tuffty

This is the crankcase breather system from the rocker cover not the vacuum pipe system from the inlet manifold. None of these pies will "hiss" they'll just breathe smoke and oil. This is not what Mark is talking about mate but thanks for showing me where all the exploded diagrams are. Nice one :yes:

Mark it's this section you need and I think it's part 30 or 31 or 32 you are describing which is straight pipe of varying lengths except no32 which has a bend set in it.

AUDI A3/S3/SPORTBACK/QU. [A3] (EUROPE) 1998: ENGINE: 13320. THROTTLE VALVE CONTROL ELEMENT; VACUUM SYSTEM; INTAKE SYSTEM

Vacuum list

Cheers

Last edited: