Thoughts on this CAT D

Siddo

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just curious to gather a few opinions and maybe experiances of CAT D motors.
At the minute ive got a 2008 Audi A3 1.9tdi SE, Ive modded a few bits like the rear lights, armrest, RNS-E unit and all that but i'm always browsing on autotrader and eBay alike.

I came across this motor this morning, audi a3 black edition tdi | eBay

Now it's not a black edition but is a replica, unfortunately i'm strapped for cash as far as a proper black edition is concerned! Anywho it mentions the light CAT D damage of which i'm trying to establish what it was but should this be a put off? As long as the chassis isn't twisted and all that, would it be worth going for? I'd try and haggle if i could.

Problem is,at resale time,it will always be a Cat D.

Also,you need to know exactly what happened,who fixed it,and have sight of the invoices.

Problem is,at resale time,it will always be a Cat D.

Also,you need to know exactly what happened,who fixed it,and have sight of the invoices.

Yeah that's it, i'd like to run it for a fair few years really if it worked out well. I'd check like you say for what work was involved and if it's had a MOT / Service since the repairs to outline any issues. Just curious really for now haha

I was told that you can have the cat c and d removed from the history by arranging for the correct inspection once then work has been completed. I can't remember the name of the service but I expect a Google will reveal all :)

Looks OK, shut-lines look good. Some of the reflections make it look funny. If you're going to keep it and the price is right, go and try it out. Only you can make the final decision!

I've had a few cat d's myself in the past and the only way I would touch one is if I bought it damaged myself and got it repaired least that way you know it's been done properly. Don't buy them anymore would rather go for unrecorded if I was to go damaged again.

I was told that you can have the cat c and d removed from the history by arranging for the correct inspection once then work has been completed. I can't remember the name of the service but I expect a Google will reveal all :)

A quick bit of googling said that you can't remove it.....there may be more that I couldn't find on a quick search.

There was mention of having a car inspected(not sure by whom),but it still shows as having been "inspected",so it's clear something was wrong at one time.

Thanks for the advice fellas, I think if it's still available at the weekend I might pop up and have a look at it. As mentioned that's the only way I can really gauge how it feels, handles and all that. I'd be tempted to take some of the parts out of my current A3 like the RNS-E, Cruise control (if not fitted on this) 6 CD changer and plant them in it. Still got the original parts to go back in my current one to then sell on.

Judging by what you can see in the advert do you think I'd have room to haggle? Obviously it all depends on the state, drive and doccuments of the car...