trailer towbar by-pass electical installation question.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hi all,
just about to jump into fitting a westafalia detch towbar to my B7 avant and have a quick question .
As i only use a small trailer a few times a year i have opted for the by-pass electrics with a standard 7 pin plug setup, with a TEB7AS bypass relay.
before i start pulling out more of the boot area than i have to , where is the best place to hook the relay into , left or right side of the car or will i need to hook into it somewhere else.
I need 12v supply for the relay so connecting into the 12v socket supply in the load area seems easiest, but ensure of the best place to loop into the rest of the wires.

any help would be great on this guys.

rgds
rob

You need to take both rear trim panels off unfortunately because there isn't one side with all the connections you need.

Most of them are on the left side so i'd suggest you put the relay there, that's where I put mine, then you just need to bring your power and RH indicator over from the RH side.

Make sure you thoroughly test it before refitting the side panels, those little scotchlocks in the kit aren't too good and need a damn good squeeze to get a connection.