Advice on subframe and oil sump removal 1.8 T

Tony5496

Reaction score
Hi can someone give me some Advice Please on myAudi 1.8T cabrio on a 53 reg I am going to be replacing the oil pick up pipe myself as cannot get the car to the garage as it is stuck in my garage. and can't drive it at the moment because of the low oil pressure was just wondering if someone could talk me through the removal of the subframe and the sump and is it quite a straight forward job I will be doing the job on Ramps if possible :)

You need an engine brace to hold the engine if you remove the subframe and even then there is not much room to get the sump off. You also need some very good allen keys to remove the bolts holding the sump in the bellhousing and quality sump sealant. I would use an engine hoist if i were you, done it both ways and i still prefer to jack the engine up than remove the subframe which will mess up the steering geometry !

Sub frame doesn't need to be removed.. Undo engine mount bolts and lift engine with hoist or engine hangar and sump can be removed easily enough... Done it many times with no issues..

Reactions: Tony5496