EGR/Anti Shudder Questions

RSW46

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if these are simple questions but I'm new to Audi and the 2.0 TDI (140) engine and have a couple of things to ask. After looking on here I've read about the EGR/Anti Shudder valve and wonder if mine might need a service/clean?

If I boot my car at night with streetlights on or a car behind me illuminating the road I can see some smoke in the rear view mirror, but I can't see it in the day time so I assume it's not too bad. Also, when I turn the ignition off, I feel a slight shudder from the car. It's only slight... but the fact I can see some smoke, and I'm getting this little shudder, I'm wondering whether I might need to clean the EGR?

If I were to clean the EGR would I be able to clean the anti shudder valve at the same time?

Any help is appreciated, again sorry for the amateur questions but I have tried searching and can't find specific answers.

The anti-shudder is just a flap that closes inside the EGR housing, so worth cleaning it out to see if it makes a difference! You will need something strong like carb cleaner to breakdown the grunge you will find inside the housing!

Take the pipe off the anti shudder and with the car off if you get some one switch ignition on and off the flap should move,if it doesnt .........time get a new one,that is usually what causes the car Not to shut off smoothly,the egr and anti-shudder come off together and best clean egr anyway as they can clog up, the anti-shudder also known as intake manifold flap.

Reactions: AudiA3JJ
Thanks for the replies, think I will take the EGR and anti shudder off at the weekend then and see how they are. I'll update if I have any problems!

Thanks for the replies, think I will take the EGR and anti shudder off at the weekend then and see how they are. I'll update if I have any problems!
Any updates?! I just took my ASV off, with the intention of removing the EGR to clean it (having some hesitation issues with no fault code so trying to eliminate causes) only to find i was lacking a bolt tool that i needed!! Put it back together after giving the ASV a clean and now have a slight 'shudder' on switching off the engine!!