Audi A4 automatic gearbox

sainy

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I hope you can give some advice as I am bit dum-founded.

I have an audi A4 (2002) automatic.

I tried to move in D and as I took my foot off the brake the car stalled. And it happened few times. Then I managed to move and as I was on a hill i tried to keep it in D but the car was trieng to move forward, while I had my foot on the brake. Then I stopped and turned the engine off. Then I turned the engine on and tried to move, again same thing happened.

Please tell me the gear box is not gone. and if it isnt then what you think is the problem.

Thank you

Sainy

I've seen something similar before when the brake booster vacuum feed pipe had snapped.

The car always tries to move away when in drive, which means your brakes need to be strong enough not only to hold the car still, but to fight against the power the gearbox is sending to the wheels. The unassisted brakes meant it was very difficult to overcome the transmission in Drive, but it would stop if you REALLY stood on the pedal.

The snapped pipe also meant there was an airleak, so the engine would stall and generally not run very well.

I've noticed you've said 2002, which is a B6 model, not a B5.

I'll move this thread to the right place just now!

Hi
Thanks aragorn.

would you say that is expensive to fix. What exactly you think I should mention to the mechanic? So that I don't come across naive.

Thanks again

Sainy

Have you tried actually driving the car down the road?

Do the brakes feel wooden/hard and ineffective?

What engine do you have?

Hi

Yes I have been driving it. once its on the road it drives like there is nothing wrong. only when i stop at lights and then brakes feel hard and ineffective.

If i reverse then there is no problem. Only when I put it in D

Thanks
Sainy