Gt30/gtx30 power

Goubo1

Reaction score
What power can these turbos produce with all the right supporting hardware ?

What power can these turbos produce with all the right supporting hardware ?

If what you're asking is what is the absolute ragged edge for each,then a GT3071R will max out at around 480bhp whereas the bigger,newer GTX3076 will get to around 600-650bhp.

That's the absolute quoted maximum from Garrett themselves,and obviously doesn't take into account ANY of the supporting hardware or software,or the way the engine is set up,or indeed the cylinder head and valves.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbochargers

Often,people think that these figures are what the car should produce when one is bolted on,but the reality is always going to be less than that,and in any case,there are a host of other factors to be taken into account,such as matching the turbo properly to the engine.
If you simply go for the biggest possible,you may well end up with something that has monumental lag,and gets killed by the car with a smaller,more responsive setup.

Other factors include turbine and compressor aspect ratios,and the compromise between top end power and response.

Reason I ask is I'm going for a 500bhp build and was curious to see if the Gtx would be a better all round package than a gt35

Reason I ask is I'm going for a 500bhp build and was curious to see if the Gtx would be a better all round package than a gt35

OK....personally,having had a GT3071,and moved to a GTX3076,I'd say the GTX is a far better package,and size for size(i.e.GT3076 for instance,Vs GTX3076),the overall flow is around 10% or so better on the GTX version.

I'm sure you'll look at all of the other bits you're going to need for this build,and the 8L guys are going to give you far better advice on that than I could,but with respect to the turbo,you should think about a metal bearing cage as part of the spec when you buy,as the standard part is plastic,and prone to fail if the turbo is used hard and then left to cook.

You could also maybe drop Scott at Owen Developments a line,as he was incredibly helpful to me when swapping my turbos around,and will be able to give you all of the right advice on aspect ratios.

It's bill who is going to be doing the build and the car will be strokerd so that will help spool....Andrew what spec was your turbo when you were 500bhp also do have a dyno plot of you're car ?

GTX3076r plus basic stuff really with one of my own heads

Never got a plot as my goal was 600 but never got it so never kept any plots, there was just one anyway

Reactions: S3Alex
Not that impressed with GTX range so far... seem to require a lot of boost to get going...

If Bill is doing the work I'd ask him what he feels comfortable with and currently he isn't a fan of GTX's... GT3582r will get you to 500hp with the right supporting mods...

<tuffty/>

Not that impressed with GTX range so far... seem to require a lot of boost to get going...

If Bill is doing the work I'd ask him what he feels comfortable with and currently he isn't a fan of GTX's... GT3582r will get you to 500hp with the right supporting mods...

<tuffty/>

I spoke with bill on emails in the past hour tuffty and he cleared a few things up...I was just thinking earlier if a smaller turbo would have been better for a fast road car but as I said bills cleared things up for me

<tuffty/>

All a matter of matching the turbo to the application as we all say.

I think they work well on some of the 8P engines but may not suit the 8L so well.

I agree that they need a bit of volume to get moving but for all that the on boost pickup is amazing.

All a matter of matching the turbo to the application as we all say.

I think they work well on some of the 8P engines but may not suit the 8L so well.

I agree that they need a bit of volume to get moving but for all that the on boost pickup is amazing.

you say well matched components... I have to disagree
like for like installs where spec is zero compromise, the GTX just "dont do it for me" at all!

Laggier in every iteration I have seen so far than their std cousins, and although their comp flow spec is higher, essentially the next frame size up relative to their GT cousins, their spool is also the next frame size up,.... aka slower..

To realise their flow potential to the nonsense numbers quoted by garrett, on a 1.8t platform car, they need to be pumping up their boost levels... The GTX pressure ratios are higher to achieve their quoted max flows.. More boost = a lot more heat load which the motor will have to deal with.

The 11 blade compressor design to me is only working when you spool them up hard..
I prefer a billet style less bladed wheel (like HTA, Precision etc) as they shift more air sooner, without having to spool fast and hard to get the peak airflows.

GTX not things I would personally consider great units for 1.8t...

Best performing unit to dat for road car, all be it stroker 20v LCR was an HTA3071/0.82 all vbanded setup. Compact physically, but damn it pulled very hard... without having to wind the boost levels up to 30+psi

my 2p from the several GTX I have had my hands on thus far

EFR series is next appealing unit.. We shall see.

you say well matched components... I have to disagree
like for like installs where spec is zero compromise, the GTX just "dont do it for me" at all!

Laggier in every iteration I have seen so far than their std cousins, and although their comp flow spec is higher, essentially the next frame size up relative to their GT cousins, their spool is also the next frame size up,.... aka slower..

To realise their flow potential to the nonsense numbers quoted by garrett, on a 1.8t platform car, they need to be pumping up their boost levels... The GTX pressure ratios are higher to achieve their quoted max flows.. More boost = a lot more heat load which the motor will have to deal with.

The 11 blade compressor design to me is only working when you spool them up hard..
I prefer a billet style less bladed wheel (like HTA, Precision etc) as they shift more air sooner, without having to spool fast and hard to get the peak airflows.

GTX not things I would personally consider great units for 1.8t...

Best performing unit to dat for road car, all be it stroker 20v LCR was an HTA3071/0.82 all vbanded setup. Compact physically, but damn it pulled very hard... without having to wind the boost levels up to 30+psi

my 2p from the several GTX I have had my hands on thus far

EFR series is next appealing unit.. We shall see.

I have to admit that you know far more about the 1.8t than I do,so I'm only talking from my own feelings with the 2.0TFSi,and what I was trying to say was that whilst they suit a number of us with the 8P 2.0 TFSi engine,they may NOT suit the 1.8 so well,and your experience clearly underlines that.

On the other hand,Andrew@A.L.D. seems pretty enthusiastic about the GTX.