Stock air intake cover?

Ironborn

English...not so good
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
If there meant to be a cover under where I have highlighted? The cold air comes in from the the little square boxes into the housing, but it doesn't make sense because the housing doesn't have a side to trap the air so that it can travel into the pipes. It only has a top cover. Or is the air meant to go into the bay and cool the engine?

2363 8lo

If there meant to be a cover under where I have highlighted? The cold air comes in from the the little square boxes into the housing, but it doesn't make sense because the housing doesn't have a side to trap the air so that it can travel into the pipes. It only has a top cover. Or is the air meant to go into the bay and cool the engine?

View attachment 35076

I guess yours is broken, there were no holes in my S3 intake

Reactions: Ironborn
ETKA diagram (I've based this on a BKD engine)shows that to be correct and that there is a hole there.

But ETKA can be quite vague.

Yes there is meant to be a hole in the back, least mine has too!

Baffles me why though, like you say must be to let some air into the bay, or warm air into intake at slower speeds for some crazy reason

As I know petrol and diesel engines have different air intakes, so yes, in S3 there is no hole, but in diesel I also have box with hole straight through :)

Last edited:
Cheers lads, would it be worth blocking of that hole, hot air being sucked into engine can't be a good thing.