Dual mass flywheel

MarcBennett

Reaction score
Anybody know if the dual mass could cause really bad engine/car shake? Cheers

Last edited:
Hej Marc

When you say bad shake.....depends what you mean.....Should be noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear on acceleration.....sometimes even feeling the gearstick in neutral when revving hard. Just depends on the state of knackerdness it's in.

BR
A

It's fine when I drive, but when sitting still ticking over shakes like mad!! And it makes a clunking noise! Haha cheers for the reply

It's fine when I drive, but when sitting still ticking over shakes like mad!! And it makes a clunking noise! Haha cheers for the reply

Could well be the early symptoms....best to get a second opinion from a good independent VAG dealer.....it will get progressively worse but still be safe & driveable.....it will slowly start to drive you mad if the DMF has / is expiring though.

BR
A

Well I've had two mechanics now telling me it's the dual mass, am I right in saying I would loose drive if it was to completely fail?

Well I've had two mechanics now telling me it's the dual mass, am I right in saying I would loose drive if it was to completely fail?

Probably, but to date...I have never heard of of one completely failing yet.....I maybe wrong... but they are still driveable despite being shagged no matter how bad they get....it's just the the vibration gets to the point of driving you insane!.....I had my DMF gubbed in my non Audi car for nearly two years before I changed it.....I thought it was my wheels out of balance!.....Numpty!

Cheers
A

Reactions: scotty76
Ok mate cheer for your help, I'm Definatly going to get it done! I feel like I'm about to take off when I'm at the lights! Because it's shakes that much! Haha

Just to touch on this subject quickly MarcBennett what sort of vehicle do you have engine wise? And I am assuming its manual.

Just a thought but I know the PD motors are generally quite rough especially at idle. May be worth checking engine mounts as well as gearbox mount. As I am unsure of your vehicle mileage but if its anything north of 80-90k might be something to consider.

"It's fine when I drive, but when sitting still ticking over shakes like mad!! And it makes a clunking noise! Haha cheers for the reply"

The above makes one think mounts are shot but the clunking is what makes me think otherwise.

What is the clutch peddle feel like or response when engaging or disengaging ?

My experience of the DMF failing, and I have had two, is that it gets slightly hard to start, lumpy idle and its worse when the engine is hot.
Didn't get a lot of vibration though, just a bit clattery

Giosabcsl, yes I've got a fault code for 'engine mount solenoid' so I'll get it on a ramp and get a mechanic to check every mount. And the clutch pedal is fine, I can't fault that.

And that's for the reply sidibear, my car starts up fine everytime from cold or hot. Fires up first turn of the key

Thanks lads

I definitely would get it checked as I know how much it affects the 2.0T motors. So I can only imagine what its like on the 1.9 tdi.

I have experienced everything you have in my Polo PD130. With out the clunking ;)

I can recall the mounts on my PD motor they are filled with hydro liquid. Part number is 8D0 199 382 (ae) if I remember correctly.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn222/glenandem/C47E21B6-1415-41FD-89A9-38DF43E422D5-2147-000002D0C1EA0EE1_zpsfdf37228.jpg

And if they look anything like that or have the purple fluid on the mounts or cups of the mounts they are finished. If you dont have any under trays just look under the vehicle if you spot that you know were one of your issues is at least.

Id same problem an Machanic said it
Was dual mass flywheel changed it
Twice and it's still the
Same. It's
More than likely the engine or gear box mount.