2000 S3 electric problems...

behu71

Reaction score
My 2000 model S3 cut out like it ran out of fuel, but had 1/4 tank. Engine turns over but won't start. 1/2 hour later starts and runs fine. Auto electrician could find no problems $400 bill for nothing... 3 weeks later and same thing happened again on my way home from work today, waited 1/2 hour then started up and drove home... Anyone got any ideas?

Have you scanned for faults codes using VCDS? if its an electrical problem then chances are a fault code of some description will be present...

<tuffty/>

Is your fuel pump priming?
When did you last change the fuel filter?
Dave

Is your fuel pump priming?
When did you last change the fuel filter?
Dave

Only had the car 7 weeks now.... Auto electricians found no problems from OBD. Ordered a VS450 scanner 3 days ago. Is it easy to change out the fuel filter? Both times the car has stopped is with 1/4 tank of fuel so that could be dirty fuel low in the tank... Thanks for responses, will get under car today...

Changing the filter should be easy, but I couldn't do it because the lines were seized. Had it done at a garage last week, should have been £20, but was £75 as needed new line from tank and tank dropped down.
Dave

Thanks, had a quick look today and found the filter, feel completely stupid as assumed it would be in the tank - my background is totally 2 wheeled! Going to town tomorrow hopefully can find a filter....