2011 S4 Avant - MMI and iPhone 5

tronicx

Reaction score
Hi All - I've just put down a deposit with Audi Basingstoke for a used 2011 S4 Avant - this'll be my first Audi and my first DSG gearbox too! My current car is a RenaultSport Megane F1/230 - so this is going to be a big change.

I just wanted to ask how people get on with the MMI / Bluetooth integration and if the MMI I have has the Audi Connect.. what are people's experiences with this combined with an iPhone 5?

The car is having some 'prep' work done before I can get my hands on it; resprayed front bumper and refurbed alloys.. least to say, I can't wait to get the keys!

Cheers!

1. Equipment and design packages[WB3] Sound package
-[9VK] Bang & Olufsen sound system
[WB7] Technology package - High
-[UF7] Audi Music Interface (AMI)
-[7D5] DVD player
-[7T6] MMI navigation plus
-[8YQ] Radio system for MMI plus
-[QH1] Voice dialogue system
3. Wheels/tyres
[PQ6] 19x8.5J 5-segment-spoke alloys
-[F42] Alloy wheels 8.5J x 19
-[HL6] Tyres 255/35 R19 Y
-[7K6] Tyre pressure loss indicator
23. Suspensions/brakes
-[2H1] Audi drive select
-[1BL] Damper control
-[GH2] quattro / sports differential
10. Seats/seating comfort
[PV3] Electric fr seats, driver mem
-[3L4] Electric fr seats, driver mem
-[4A4] Heated front/rear seats
[PS6] S sports seat
-[Q4Q] S sports seats at front
11. Seat upholstery/leather trim
-[N1U] Silk Nappa emb. / fr Sp seats
19. Radio and TV systems
-[QV3] DAB digital radio
22. Assistance systems
-[7X4] Audi parking system plus
4. Lights
-[8Q5] Adaptive lights
6. Roof systems
-[3FU] Open Sky Panoramic sunroof
16. Luggage securing and storage systems
-[3X2] Through-load facility
7. Locking systems
-[4F2] Advanced key
5. Mirrors
-[6XL] Ext mir elec/fold/heat/dim/mem
24. Technology/safety
-[4X4] Rear side airbags
8. Glass
-[VW1] Privacy glass
Colours
Interior Trim Colours - Seats/Dashboard/Carpet/Headliner
-[ZM] black/black-black/black/black
Exterior colours (pearl effect)
-[L8L8] Phantom Black, pearl effect
Uncategorized
-[8T1] Cruise control
-[9ZX] Phone prep-Bluetooth interface

Reactions: warren_S5 and Rich M
Hi,

Welcome and nice spec of car you have there.

I'm using the 5s in mine but this is on a MMI 3G unit, I can't remember if the 2011 has the 2G unit so I can't comment on compatibility. I'm sure someone will be able to help though.

Regards
Rich

Thanks Rich - with the MMI 3G do you have a sim-card slot in the dash? I've been reading a number of posts on here and other sites suggesting you can't use the in-built SIM slot for data and use bluetooth handsfree for the phone at the same time.

Thanks again!

Thanks Rich - with the MMI 3G do you have a sim-card slot in the dash? I've been reading a number of posts on here and other sites suggesting you can't use the in-built SIM slot for data and use bluetooth handsfree for the phone at the same time.

Thanks again!

Hi,

I didn't spec my car with the Phone prep high package which has the SIM card slot option. I have yet to explore using my bluetooth and the unit - only calls at the moment but I believe warren_S5 has had some success using his with Audi connect (I think he has the SIM option)

Ahh - To be honest, I wasn't sure from the option list the car has if even has the SIM slot... I guess I'll find out when I see it next.

My B8 has MMI 2G Plus with AMI and Bluetooth handsfree module.

Had no problems with iPhone 5 bluetooth for calls but because the 2G Plus doesn't allow streaming of music via A2DP (Bluetooth) I've had to buy a Viseeo Tune2Air module which connects to the AMI.

The 2012 3G units allow streaming via Bluetooth if you have Bluetooth handsfree.

Ok - worked out I don't have Mobile Prep High (which has the SIM slot).. so I guess no funky Google Mapping for me then... just normal Bluetooth Prep

Google maps was MMI 3G+ this started on MY 2012, however this could be retrofitted

3G was fitted to all 2009on I belive.
Best way to check is how you nav maps is loaded
Hard disc drive = 3G
DVD drive = 2g

Correct me if I'm wrong here

How can you tell if a car has 2G or 3G?

MMI 2G finished in 2009. You will also see a DVD Navigation unit in the boot of the car on the left hand side, you don't have this on the 3G setup, it's part of the Audi Multimedia unit in the front.

Hard disc drive = 3G
DVD drive = 2g

Not all MMI 3G systems where HDD based, there are 4 different main modules.

3G HDD with SIM
3G HDD without SIM (with or without BT)

3G DVD version with SIM
3G DVD version without SIM (with or without BT)

Not all MMI 3G systems where HDD based, there are 4 different main modules.
3G HDD with SIM
3G HDD without SIM (with or without BT)

3G DVD version with SIM
3G DVD version without SIM (with or without BT)

B5NUT - that's useful stuff! - So I think I'll have 3G HDD without SIM (with BT) base on the option being 7T6 "MMI Navigation plus" and what's on the all-mighty wiki: Multi Media Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers!!

Hard disc drive = 3G
DVD drive = 2g

I have an April 2009 model and it has 2G. I think April was the change over month to 3G so I just missed out!

Although some 2010 and later Dynamik models have 2G (not sure if they all have!)

I think anything with MMI 2G towards the end 2009 / early 2010 will be old dealer/group stock.

Reactions: tronicx