My rear feels bouncy

dannyh

Nogaro S3
Reaction score
Hi Guys, whenever i go over a bump the back end of my S3 seems to twitch and jump around on the back.
Its lowered 20mm on standard shocks.
Is it normal to feel this twitch? ive only had FWD before so nothing to compare this to.

Thanks

did you have the wheel alignment and camber checked after lowering?

mark

mines not lowerd and still on standard suspension and when i go over a speed bump the backend is solid, just does one bounce and is back at its normal height.

Hi Guys, whenever i go over a bump the back end of my S3 seems to twitch and jump around on the back.
Its lowered 20mm on standard shocks.
Is it normal to feel this twitch? ive only had FWD before so nothing to compare this to.

Thanks

If the mileage is anything over 50k miles on your original shocks, then they would be well past there best in all honesty. This is what I'd be looking at, so time to uprate it whilst you are at it! :racer:

It doesn't bounce up or down it seems to wiggle side to side, if that makes sense. Possibly bushes you think them?

Shocks i would say, i have just changed my rears at 150k and it's a huge difference

Reactions: dannyh
and as in most things in life, ones rear does start to sag anyway, the only one that doesn't is j Lo's..............

Haha thanks Ian. Are there any signs of knackered shocks other than the wobble, they don't bottom out or anything

open the boot upp and push down on the back panel, if it does more than one bounce the shocks are ****** :)

I had the same issue with my previous mk4 tdi Golf (not surprising with nearly 170k on the clock) and to a degree with my A3. Will have to investigate. I notice it more when going over a bump mid corner.

To be honest Danny, I think you'd be better off with a second opinion from real person actually looking at your car. The information you are supplying us is at best vague, and in return, we can only return answers based on what you are feeding us.

Just to let you know my car is lowered approx 35mm all round on springs and shocks, and the back end does not skip around, but if I drive it hard enough, the back will let go as per my avatar. It should be planted if anything!! Get it checked out if it's not comfortable for your driving mate.

Oh no I totally understand JOjo it's difficult to explain, I did see a thread where someone mentioned it but couldn't fine it again :-(

Ye it just bounces a little too much if I go over a bump or something, probably is the shocks but I'll get it checked out before I go replacing things.

Just wondered if it was a common thing that's all

Cheers for all them input everyone

Rear 'bouncing' is almost certainly worn shocks, if it feels more like the back wanders about or skips sideways over bumps then it's likely to be the trailing arm bushes or uneven rear toe causing a thrust angle.

Can feel really odd when the rear alignment is out, make more of a difference than the front.