Electrical Gremlins

widdy

Reaction score
Finally got the VCDS lite working on my laptop so can talk to tabby now and just in time to.....

I've got a bunch of electrical gremlins..

started with the speedo not working
then the oil sensor intermittent every other start (orange oil can dash light and sensor)
then the reversing lights not working
and finally a temperamental right headlight, sometimes it's on sometimes it's off.

Tabby is 8L 1.8T, Manual, no cruise
VCDS gave me a few codes-

[SIZE=-1]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail![/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
Controller: 06A 906 018 CJ
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Component: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR HS D01[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
Coding: 04000
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Shop #: WSC 06435[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
VCID: 6CAB47B30F93
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2 Faults Found:
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] 18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]16885 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] P0501 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Readiness: N/A[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Address 03: ABS Brakes
Labels: 1J0-907-37x-ABS.LBL
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Controller: 1J0 907 379 Q
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Component: ABS/EDS 20 IE CAN 0001
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Coding: 13504[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Shop #: WSC 06435
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]VCID: 3FF1C0FF2E65[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 Fault Found:
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] 16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent[/SIZE]

-------------------------------------

I've replace the oil preasure switch, and theirs oil in it, weeping rocker cover but that's being replaced.
I've replace the speedo sensor, full mech and sensor.

neither of these has had any impact.

I've checked the codes and ruled out the obvious (parts and lack of auto gearbox) so now down to the wiring - stripped out battery, airbox and uncovered wires, leaves everywere!, still got to strip out the wiper arm scuttle but that full of leaves to.

the battery earths don't look to healthy and was wondering if it's some thing like a bad ground?

cheers

Update--

rocker gasket now fitted nice and snug, ran it-tighted the bolts, cooled off - checked again, ran it then cooled it and final nip up all good.

I've have cleared the codes but they have come back :(

on the plus side I've traced the oil sensor fault (00562) to the bonnet catch microswitch, liberally applied WD40 so i'll see if that loosens it or if it needs a new switch.

Hi the orange oil light is the level sensor in the bottom of the sump, the same thing happened to my 1.8t

Been chasing my tail with this one but finally sorted today-
no oil sensor light on dash and speedo now working, also reversing lights now working :)

how I did it--
cleaned earth on scuttle as was corroded
cleaned all earths under battery as very corroded
cleaned reverse light switch, traced back wiring but no faults on speedo, oil or reverse light.
replaced reverse light fuse
cleaned number plate light holders as very corroded and changed bulbs.

I have no idea if one or all of these had a cumulative effect, I had multiple crappy earths.

on the plus side I feel like I know my audi way better than before :)

Reactions: epox