Xenons Problem

rhinopower

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've been busy tinkering with my recent purchase, i've fitted new bushes etc throughout, stack boost gauge and a few other bits, and took it for a drive last night.

About a mile from my house the bulb warning flashed up, and then went off again. I put some fuel in and air in my tyres at the garage and went off again. No more warning. I popped into my mums, and when it came to leaving, bulb warning was back constantly, and neither of my xenons are working. All i've touched electrically is wiring the boost gauge to the grey/blue and brown wire on the dimmer switch. The fuses are ok, main beams are working, I'm just struggling to believe that both bulbs or ballasts have just blown at the same time.

Anything else to check, and is there a guide for removing the headlights? It looks like you have to remove them to get the bulbs out.

Cheers :)

You can get the bulbs out without removing the headlights, first try disconnecting the wiring to the dimmer switch and see if that is the issue.
Mark

Yeah I've tried that already with the switch. I tried getting the back cover off too but it seems too cramped to get it out, I don't know if maybe I'm not being heavy handed enough! Lol

:Defo can be done on a 2003 s3 done mine several times, daft question is it just the xenons that don't work or all the lights?
Would check the plugs at secure and fully pushed into the main switch sounds like some connection could be loose . Would be strange for both to pack up at the same time .

Mark

All other lights working. I've removed and refitted the plug for the switch too. The switch must be working because it's only when you put the headlights on that you get the bulb warning.

Also only getting 7 volts on the yellow wire to the headlights. Is there a relay I need to check seeing as the high beam works?

Replace the switch? More cost I know, I did a search and found some others with the same issues

Mark

Saying that, i just bridged pin 56 and pin 30 on the multi plug for the headlights and it works! I'l try another switch!

The switch doesn't go directly to he headlights, there's a 'bulb check' module that the power feed for all the lights passes through.

It's in the drivers footwell , above the pedal box with the relays. It twice the size of the other relays and black.

I had a drivers side xenon out, turned out to be this bulb check module gone bad.

I have a pin-out for it somewhere if u want it?

All fixed now i've fitted a new switch. Shame i put £90 of new bulbs in first :'(

Reactions: epox