turbo help b5

jaymodunn

Reaction score
hi i have my turbo off ebay but a couple of pipes are cut and before i fit on Saturday, do i have to buy/change them.

thanks

cheers just checking as i cant be ***** to mess about once started the job.

i have the guide but it doesn't mention them.

As above really just remember where they all came from and where they go if you got a memory like a fish take pics as you go along or make notes and label things always better to be safe than sorry.

Also on first pic they have shoved the bolt in the comp cover so be easier for you to leave the N75 piped in just disconnect from the TIP then just swap straight to turbo then theres no chance of getting them on wrong.

thanks for all the help guys but i have had no luck, the manifold to turbo bolt as snapped in half and i have now thrown the towel in and selling as spares as it is just more money to spend and i would rather cut my losses (around 700 not including car).

Lol!

The bolts always snap, always pays to replace them.

Seems somewhat crazy to give up due to a £1 bolt...

Don't let it beat you! You've got this far, you'll just be throwing money away!! Has it broken off so that it's now recessed in the manifold?

If its snapped and the other two bolts haven't been touched, either way you have a useable hotside if thats what your changing even if the other bolts snap you should still clear the turbo from manifold get 3 new bolts less than 5 quid and bolt up the replacement, jobs a good un.

Give the B5 some love instead of binning it of, enjoy it even if it does empty your pockets its what the B5 does best but still performs for the age of car it is !!

well after my trantum i am keeping it..

luckily i have use of a b5 1.8t a4 whilst i try to work out what to do.

2 bits of help please.

the lower coolant pipe clip was fully corroded and fell apart, what is the replacement part number.

also where to buy the bolts for manifold and turbo, and how the f do you get the bolt closest to the engine off, there is no room.

the nuts on the exhaust broken need to cut off any other pit falls before i try again.

Coolant pipe can just be secured by a jubilee clip.

Bolt closest to engine should come free with any normal angled ring end spanner or if its a straight spanner remove the other two bolts first to give you room.

Bolts get from TPS or dealer.

If you have other means of transport dont worry to much mines my daily and when at work on a saturday against the clock and a turbo bolt snaps in the turbo that your still using thats when you worry lol

If you want the proper bolts, they're dealer only.

I've just used standard M10 bolts in the past without issue, but i wouldnt suggest that its a good idea as i've no idea how the metal properties differ.

Bolt closest to the engine is made easier if you remove the heatshield. 3/8" drive socket and a "wobbly" extension usually works, just make 100% sure the socket is fully engaged.

cheers i presume to stop another bolt snap is back and forth. cheers

i have got the part number for the bolt. cheers

i have sold my last ebay turbo so lookng at the bex ones on ebay now

hi rang a few garages and wont touch with a barge pole. so any recommendations in midlands near stafford way. fit turbo as well. cheers

Pull the turbo yourself regardless if out goes wrong then get the turbo to an engineering shop to get the snapped bolt out. I was charged £45 when one of mine snapped.

surely pulling the turbo will f the thread in the manifold?

i just cant be ***** to get half way and not get the car going, it will be a world of pain.

There is no thread in the manifold its just a hole the thread is in the hotside of the turbo. Just have a go at the other two bolts worst case they all snap either way it will need some work from a engineers.

Just crack on and dont worry about it, things break but can be fixed replaced.

i don't care about the turbo it will be scrapped, o.k sounds good the worst i do is bash them out. cheers

TBH best thing is i have just had a 50% pay rise so getting my mod list ready... )

Get a BBT ordered then, if the turbo is scrap i dont see the worry just snap the other two and the turbo will fall off lol

Fancy brake disks are never worth the money. No performance advantage whatsoever over plain standard disks from the factors, just an emptier wallet!

Yeh spend the money on decent pads if you want, but for disks just buy stock ones.

TBH, for the road, a set of stock disks and some Ferodo Premier pads is fine. I've since upgraded mine to 312's, but even on the 288's i never had any trouble with them at all.

i have to admit, theres me worried ****less (big bills)looking at buying a 207 gti when i 2 bolts down just 1 more i would have got the turbo off, even the catalyst bolts were a piece of ****, what a muppet i am..

yeh we've all had those moments.

I got ****** off with mine a few months back when i broke the rear brake pipes, and it sat abandoned on the drive for a week until i had time to sort it, and yeh, the thaughts of "fk it i'm buying another car that i dont need to work on and can just drive" were flying around, but at the end of the day i realised that you have to spend quite a lot of money to get something better than what i've already got!

i am lucky, i actually own 2 b5's the quattro and a normal 1.8t

i love them both, i sat in then 207 gti and the quality was **** inside , the b5 is so much better, a car 14 years old

I was tempted also to get rid and buy a brand new DS3 1.6THP but then i thought id be spending almost double what i spend a month on mine a month, where as mines paid for and its never really let me down and it was a 'theres not many left dont see many off them about' so i would rather invest my time and money in something i take a bit of pride in owning and make it how i want it and lets be honest ive not driven anything else that drives as good as my B5.

4 months down the line get a DS3R in (same engine just tuned to 204hp rather than 155hp) and it had done 12k iirc and needed a full engine and turbo due to the fact its high pressure injection (direct port) and the crankcase ventilation pipe to the inlet manifold clogs the valves as no fuel passes over them and now and again would throw oil/carbon into the cylinders and cause missfire and knock i removed the head and it looked as though wolverine had been trying to escape from the bores lol.

Yes it would be under warranty but they just throw an engine in, dont rectify the problem, so the issue is still there unless you had it carbon cleaned which is a bit of a pita as the manifold sits at the rear under the scuttle area and would cost you unless you argued the toss with citroen. But apparently they have rectified this on the DS4 1.6THP but kept 'hush' as it doesnt meet there emissions stated etc

Abit off topic but glad i stayed clear !!

B5 is my blood type lol

All direct injection engines suffer that issue TBH. Very common on various VAG TFSI's

I cant really see any solution either. If your not flowing petrol over the valves, and your pouring ****e into the inlet from the crankcase, craps going to build up.

Having said that, have you ever looked inside the intake of a diesel engine thats done any sort of mileage, with EGR etc? They get absolutely filthy, but it doesnt seem to affect them too much.

But a diesel will run on oil if it wants, so i guess it keeps the lubrication of what ever diesel gets in the oil as its more sludge and doesnt really budge TBH even with a pressure washer compared to that of a petrol that seems to go like charcoal texture which wouldnt burn just sit on the scrapper rings and valve seats so thus loosing compression and scoring the bores.

Id love to see the difference to two identical engines one standard and one with the crankcase totally atmospheric.

o.k i have had a pay rise and looking at my car thinking of spending some money.

it will need cambelt, and maybe clutch, brakes all round and a few minor issues. paint is **** but happy to leave it, so say 800 all in.

now a mod turbo and fmic , suspension would be about 1k

is it really worth 2k on the car or should i look at something else.?

You need to think about what power goal you want personally i would do brakes, suspension, service/maintenance work first then throw money at the performance parts, are cars are getting old and tired so if things havent been replaced they will no doubt come and bite you in the back side when you least expect it.

cheers so far had , wheel end of next week.

kn air filter, 2 x oil changes, 2 x coolant change, recon turbo, all new gaskets, turbo gauge, 4 x b6 alloys with new tyres, new n75, new divertor valve, new number plates, wheel spacers.

so i have spent about 500 quid so far so will have to think. i have seen this.

Used 1999 Audi A4 QUATTRO T for sale in Devon | Pistonheads

seems gold value and i can swap a lot of parts across.