Wet Footwell Again :-(

WorkInProgress

Reaction score
It's raining again in Bonnie Scotland and as per usual I get the following: -

Uploadfromtaptalk1399487317234

This is my passenger footwell, any ideas where this is coming from?

Do you have a sunroof? Is it possible that one of your sunroof gutter / run off pipes is leaking?

I do have a sunroof but I've looked over the drain pipes before and they seem ok. This seems to be seeping up through the carpet from somewhere

Or the carpet is wicking the water from somewhere. Then I dont think it will wick upward.

I'll check them again, looks the rain might be easing off so I'll pop out in a bit.

Leaks are a nightmare to find, sun roof is most likely culprit but door seals can be a favourite as well.

I saw an episode of Wheeler Dealers a while back when Ed China pinpointed a leak by putting a smoke machine in the car which showed a leaking door seal. He fixed it by sliding small pieces of rubber tube into the air holes in the seals.

I wish I had seen it a couple of cars back, I gave up on it eventually and traded it in.

Smoke machine is probably not that easy to come by mind you, do any of your mates enjoy a cigar?

Reactions: CHEZ and WorkInProgress
Good luck. I've gave up on mine.

I've got all sorts of these moisture absorbing bags dotted about the car to stop it misting up, put chalk along the door sills to see if it's coming the the door seals, totally at a loss and not far giving up on it too!

Leaks are a nightmare to find, sun roof is most likely culprit but door seals can be a favourite as well.

I saw an episode of Wheeler Dealers a while back when Ed China pinpointed a leak by putting a smoke machine in the car which showed a leaking door seal. He fixed it by sliding small pieces of rubber tube into the air holes in the seals.

I wish I had seen it a couple of cars back, I gave up on it eventually and traded it in.

Smoke machine is probably not that easy to come by mind you, do any of your mates enjoy a cigar?

Sadly no cigar smokers but I'd give anything a try to get to the bottom of this!

With the sunroof, are there just the two drain holes towards the front or are there two towards the back as well?

Have you checked around the pollen filter for leaks?

Yeah, had a good look around it when I replaced the pollen filter a couple of months ago, was bone dry.

I'll run some cable or wire down the drain holes again and see if there are any blockages

Under the scuttle panel where the bonnet release cable runs through a gromit is another culprit, silicone all around that and the box next to it? Worth a shot

I'll have a look at this but I've never been able to get under the drivers side of the scuttle panel. Passenger side is easy as I've got the access flap for the pollen filter. Does the scuttle panel need to come off or can I just bend it up a bit?

The drain holes in the scuttle block and water fills up the void and then pours in - happens on most A4's and A6's of the B5/C5 variety so expect 8L is similar. Also pollen filter housings sometimes need re-sealing as it gets in there too. (I've had it on all my Audi's - first job I do when I buy a new one is remove scuttle and clean out blocked drain holes).

Has the wing ever been off the car? Take the wheel arch liner off and check if the seal has been broken/cut at some stage

Might be worth taking off the decor trims, lifting the carpet and sitting inside while someone hoses the car. Hopefully you'll be lucky and spot a drip somewhere which you can trace back. It's probably worth doing anyway as the sound deadening under the carpet will never dry out otherwise and you'll be stuck with misted windows.
Windscreens can also sometimes leak if the bonding has cracked.
Hope you get to the bottom of it, it's got to be one if the most annoying faults.

Reactions: CHEZ
There are quite a lot of discussions on here mentioning water coming in via the scuttle panel, and showing up in the passenger footwell.

Does it happen after it's rained even if you've not driven it? Could you lift up the carpet and check it by running a hose over the windscreen? Should be able to narrow down the cause that way.