Sump removal 2.0Tdi

666markyboy

Reaction score
Hi All .....

Was just about to set about removing the sump from my Dads A4 Avant 2.0Tdi Quattro to inspect the oil pump drive shaft but on reading the Haynes manual it states that that if you have a 6 speed box then the engine needs to be removed from the car and the flywheel taken off .. Is this true ?? surely you dont have to remove the engine to get the sump off that's madness ?

I wouldn't say your book is 100% correct.

But you do need to either remove the sub frame or loosing the engine mounts. Either or.

Sadly the down side of the quattro vehicles.

As above you need to support the engine and remove the subframe, you don't need to touch the flywheel.

Need to support the engine, and drop the subframe (engine sits on the subframe so you'll definitely need to support the engine). Sounds daunting but doesn't look too bad.

OK so today we got the sump off :) one of the 2 bolts that you access through little holes at the back of the sump wouldn't quite come all the way out as it caught on the flywheel but it would undo ,,,, just need to remember to put it back in with the sump.... lifted the engine and undid the front of the subframe and anti roll bar ... didn't need to completely undo the subframe just the front was enough to gain access.... tomorrow I'll strip the oil pump out and see what things look like .... so for info... the Haynes manual is wrong... you can remove the sump on a BRD code 2.0 Tdi Quattro with a six speed box.... I knew it must be wrong it would be a major design flaw not too .... Fingers crossed now for the oil pump drive shaft

Reactions: 344bigal and Nige_WG56
Well, job done.... and would you believe it this car has had a complete Balance shaft assembly delete running what looks like a 1.8t or 2.0 Tfsi oil pump.... you can see witness of where the old balance shaft assembly used to be fitted but it's no longer there...happy days :) no hex shaft to worry about...EVER you would have thought it would have been mentioned though in the history we have for the car.... for what it's worth I think it's failed in the past as the cars had a new turbo and all this oil pump/ balance shaft work ... anyway at least we have peace of mind now knowing it aint a ticking bomb

Reactions: rizzini7 and Molnboman