Strange boot central locking problem .........

dale86

Reaction score
Hi. I have a strange issue with my boot central locking it all of a sudden stopped working the release handle is now very notchy when pressed and just doesn't open the boot and their is no sound from the solenoid so I know it's not working. I can open it with the key but if I turn it the wrong way it sets a very loud siren off from behind the dash area which goes off when the I turn the key back the other way. Has anyone got any ideas as to what this is please ??????

Not sure about the siren, but it'll be worth changing the solenoid for the boot release.

Although I didn't have the issue with the siren, I had the same problem with the solenoid as well as an issue with trying to get the old screws out of the number plate light bulb holder.
After a lot of research I found it quicker, cheaper and easier to replace the boot mouldings (for the number plate light issue) and the boot solenoid. I looked on eBay to find you can get a 2nd hand part for about £40. I got an original brand new solenoid from Audi parts in the Cardiff dealership for about £30. The boot moulding was approximately £45.
I'm no mechanic but there are guides on how to replace a boot solenoid on here. The complete job took me just over an hour.

One tip, don't let the boot close when you are half way through the job if you have removed the solenoid. If I didn't have access through the convertible roof section it would have taken a lot longer!

I still hvnnt got to.the bottom of this I now think it is somehow linked to my recent RNSd fitting as when I turn the key to the right it knocks my head unit off also I'ts truely strange .......

Strange problem seems to be li ked to my recent radio install I've found when I disconnect the extra permanent live I had to run to the safe pin on the radio it does not cause the siren to go off anymore. This permanent live is only taken from the other permanent live that is all ready on the radio plug. Any one got any clues why this is happening please