Oil in the intercooler

boytrigg

Reaction score
Recently had running problems with my 1.9 tdi thought it was down to a boost leak or split vac pipe last night il changed pretty much all the vac pipes took of all the boost pipes to check for splits didn't notice anything took of the pipe to the turbo checked the turbo spins nice a freely and just a tiny amount of play which i think it's supposed to ? Not entirely sure lol then took of the 90 degree pipe that comes of the bottom of the intercooler and was full of oil and quite a bit of oil around the intercooler just wondering would that cause it to lose performance and fuel economy the problems only started to happen after I got it serviced

Nah I've tried to but can't seem to get it to connect it's only the free version and the cable came from eBay

This would be my first call before replacing things unless there are obviously broken/worn.

Was it "full" of oil (i.e- pouring out when you disconnected it) or was it coated on the inside with oil?

A certain amount of oil in the intercoolers / boost pipework is normal.

Hmm, its either accumulated over time, or the turbo oil seals may have gone.
May be worth while checking again after a few days.

Sometimes diesel engines can "run away" if they start pulling oil through the intake due to bad turbo oil seals - so be careful.

Would it have anything to do with being overfilled with oil when I got it serviced I noticed it was slower and worse on fuel then a couple days later I check the oil and it was over the second bend on this stick I always thought it was the engraved bit on the stick was the max marker I asked the garage and they said it was the second bend and was fine

Up to the second bend as it says in the manual, over that things can go wrong..
Could well have jettisoned some out, drop the oil level to the proper level by draining some out, clean out the intercooler and see how it goes.
As Alex said some oil in the intake is normal, but not half a pint..