Coilover installation guide (not mine)

TwoFlatTyres

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of getting some coilovers to lower my sportback as its sits too high on its current RS6 alloys.

I've scoured the forum and the web to see if I can tackle this myself or if it is a garage job. After researching I am tempted to go the garage route as the job looks far easier when up on a proper stand rather than a trolley jack and axle stands.

Anyway I did find this youtube guide which some of you might find useful or those who have done this job to comment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJvsFjt5odo

Last edited:
the rears are really easy to do.

The fronts are where my problems came in, the sway bars bolt was totally corroded in, and the place where the shock sits was totally corroded together.

Tho in the video he used some sort of seperating tool at the back, which would of helped.

Also you dont need to de wiper, u can fit a large ratchet in there without breaking up while pulling it up.

Hope this helped a bit, im terrible with cars so went to a friend, but id actually be confident doing it myself after watching him, easyer than i thought.

Thanks JJ.

It is interesting to hear peoples experiences compared to the video guide. Gives a nice reference for everyone who may try to fit their own.

Also has anyone else found that they need to remove the axle nut to remove the old front shock assembly?

I don't want to mislead anyone so a little update...

Probably down to my own naivety, but that video is pretty misleading in its simplicity. It misses out a number of steps and processes.

Not only that... I had issues with seized fasteners and the spline sockets just chewing up resulting in me having to replace the track rod ends and the stabilizer link on both sides. This was probably more down to my car being 8 years old I would imagine.

As reported by others, the rears are a doddle and both sides can be done in just over an hour, but the fronts took me a full day... from dawn until dusk job.

Lost my locking wheel nut socket right at the very end so I still need to re-check all fasteners before I am totally happy, but the results are pretty impressive in terms of ride height and improved handling.

my friend didnt have time last week, so iv grabbed him this sat to do mine. hopefully everything is not too correded and that new tool works.

How easy is it to adjust the suspension once its installed?
I've done the exact same mod, but finding it too low (scrape on nearly every speed hump in London), going to have to raise it slightly. Figured i'd give it a go over one of the next weekends...

JJ - The strut splitter tool works well and definitely worth the investment.

Matt - I haven't adjusted mine yet as I need to source a new locking wheel nut key.

is the strut spreader big enough to spread the hub completely and just lift the strut out without having to give the hub some persuasion with a hammer?

if so i might invest in one, doesn't look like its big enough from the pictures to work effectively

There are two sizes of spreader. Well, two came in the pack and the larger one helped. The first strut I did without and this needed a hammer. The second I did with the spreader and didn't need half the force. But my car is fairly old and the struts original so they where pretty corroded in there.

Reactions: smurfworth
How easy is it to adjust the suspension once its installed?
I've done the exact same mod, but finding it too low (scrape on nearly every speed hump in London), going to have to raise it slightly. Figured i'd give it a go over one of the next weekends...

As far as adjusting goes, I found that removing the rear springs and adjuster and was pretty quick, instead of adjusting in situ.

The fronts where easy to adjust with the wheels off and took no time at all.

I've posted in the want ads, but without luck - if anyone knows of some SE springs off an 8p 1.6FSI, let me know - I'm going opposite to everyone else - I want the monster truck ride height - happy to trade grip for ride.

For the rears, did you put the height adjuster above the spring?

Yes above.

One tip I read was to drill a hole in the outer adjuster so you can adjust the height without removing the springs. The hole allows you to grip one half of the adjuster and then turn the other. Without the hole, both adjusters just spin.