Steering problems

jaye2992

Reaction score
Been searching around the forum and can't find any similar threads the what i'm experiencing. A couple of months back a knock developed when moving the steering wheel side to side when the car is stationary. Had the garage have a look and they say everything seems fine (track rod ends, bushes, roll bar etc) More recently it has seemed to start been twitchy on hard cornering - roundabouts, sharps bends. As the garage can't find anything I have looked round the forum and thought it could either be the wishbone bushes or steering rack. The last service 5k ago told me that the wishbone bushes looked worn but was nothing major but im not sure on the symptoms of either of these issues.

The car is a 54 2.0TDI DSG with 89k and other that this it drives spot on with no other noises when driving.

Any help would be great! Thanks :)

No not like that, its just one knock when the steering is moved past say 11 o'clock anticlockwise. I will try get a video.

Forgot to mention that the car is lowered on AP coilovers with all new top mounts.

From the video you'd think the noise was in the car?
Have you checked the universal joint at the bottom of the steering column beside your footrest? Wondered if it was catching so ethi g or not tight?
Just an idea.

As above. The noise sounds as though it's coming from inside the car - is it?

The noise is louder inside the car but can be heard from the outside too. Looking with a friend today it seems to be on the drivers side and only does it loud when turning the wheel left.

Whats this joint at the bottom of the column? Easy to get too? Thanks.

Haven't looked on mine to see but it's where the lower column joins to the steering rack which should be close to the floor inside the car.
Wouldn't imagine it'll be too awkward.
If you get someone to turn the wheel to make the noise and put your head in the footwell you'll know if its there or not.

Just had it apart and it is louder with your head in the footwell, but that joining bolt is as tight as it will go with a socket set. Hmmm very strange issue as theres no noises when driving

Can you feel it through the shaft when making the noise?
Assuming the joint setup isn't touching anywhere like trims etc?

Which shaft sorry? You can't feel it through the steering wheel and its not touching any trim. I need to find a garage that has a drive on ramp so I can look underneath while the cars sat I think. The car is quite low but nothing is touching anywhere that can be seen.

When I put shaft I meant can you feel it through the column?
Looks like it'll need to be a garage job mate.
It was worth a look though.

Ah sorry, no nothing felt through there either but its difficult to get at lol.
Ye always worth looking yourself first. Might have to have a trip to awesome in Manchester as my local garage can't find anything, thanks anyway guys!