Knackered Engine mount!!

dgannon69

Reaction score
I went to Amd today as i didnt think my remap was as it should be due to a judder on easing of the accelerator!

Adam Came out with me for a test run with his vag com and couldnt find any faults so it went into the workshop when they found out that the engine mount above the Gearbox is nackered along with the seal at the top of the engine been nackered.

So been 100 miles from home and a little worried by seeing that my engine would move freely about 2 inches front and back i was going to get Amd to just fix it so i could get home. They couldnt get the parts so i was on the phone to audi..

They told me they were fully booked until thursday but they recommended i used my Road side assistance as seen as the car was under warranty. After i called up the number they arranged for a truck to take my car back to worcester for me and got me a taxi up to a car hire place where they gave any car of my choice, which was limited so i took a pug 307 TDI (couldnt have an audi because their insurance won't cover me til i'm over 21).

All in all i'm dissapointed with the mount been nackered as seen as the car has only done 23000 miles but very impressed with the service i recieved from Audi and also the help from Adam and his team at Amd!!

Has anyone had this happen to their car once remapped? Amd seemed to think it may be to do with harsh pull offs but i'm not into that sort of thing so i'm a bit confused as to how its happened?

A thumbs up to audi from me which is the 1st time ever!

Dave

Is it the mount itself or the bolts that have broken.

The bolts are stretch items and should be replaced when mounts are removed. I have heard of these breaking in the past.

i'm not 100% sure on exactly wat had broken but i know it was a part of the mount. they mentioned about the bolts having to be replaced because of something to do with the thread...

Was the bolt tightened by anyone recently? Maybe they broke the thread? IMO it shouldn't be too difficult to repair as it just needs new threading unless the mount is actually broken. Bad luck, hope you get the car back soon.

My OE mount lasted 74k before starting to get TOO loose! I replaced it with a VF mount and they are great. You get some noise transfer through the chassis, but makes pulling away much nicer, and much increased throttle response from the lack of engine movement. I could easily move the engine about before...not the case now!

The OE mount are viscous, and the fluid tends to leak out over the years, but 23k is a little early!

Rich

Not a great deal. Only really notice it when slowing down (bit of a whine) and when stopped wuth the clutch out (bit of shhh! noise) but not too bad.

It depends how much - Mine were knackered and you could rock the engine about a fair bit...

Rich

were there any tell tail signs? they told me i would experience a lot of vibration or see the gear stick moving?, which i don't...

Hard to say...but mine was REALLY jerky at low speeds, and when i removed the mount, you could easily move it by hand.

Rich

ok mate thanks. i'm going to pick it up from my one dealer and take it to another one... see what they have to say

Dave

well the oil leak that Amd told me i had is not there and the bushes are not nackered. This is the veiw given to me by 2 Audi dealers and that was with me giving them hell saying that they can't be right!

So at the end of the day not too sure if i am very impressed with Amd's advice.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is what i was told because they didnt want to have to look into the real reason my remap is not running properly....

Dave

Hmmm....... i have vibration in my car (around 70-80mph) and an oil leak that drips from the gearbox but don't where its leaking from exactly.

I have a 2.5 tdi v6 (a4 1998). Is it likely that the same mount could have gone on mine and where is the oil leak likely to be coming from?

ANY HELP much appreciated.

Joni_s said:
Hmmm....... i have vibration in my car (around 70-80mph) and an oil leak that drips from the gearbox but don't where its leaking from exactly.

I have a 2.5 tdi v6 (a4 1998). Is it likely that the same mount could have gone on mine and where is the oil leak likely to be coming from?

The mounts in your car are completely different, you have a longditudinal mounted engine with 2 cylinder shaped mounts either side of the block. They can be changed in situ if you support the engine.

Unfortuantely the 2 symptoms you describe may be completely unrelated. Vibration may be worn suspension arms or bad tracking.

Joni_s said:

Are you sure its from the gearbox, it could be dribbling down and running along from somewhere? Especially if your parked on a slight incline.

Is this the mount you are all referring to guys?

making-engine-mount-18-06-2.jpg

Beginning to wish I'd taken another route now!

What are the options for upgrades/replacement?

I had a problem with the mount in my S3 it used to click on and off light power if that makes sense. I brought a VF engineering gearbox mount. Fitted it in a half hour. Its excellent and the same prcie as the oem one.
Beware though you will get more gear box noise.