1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI S3 : Metallic Rustle/Rattle between 1500-3000 rpm

@Madmo you in at Dundee? I am in for a oil change soon so was going to mention it to them. But if they are no help with you then I won't bother.

The guy I spoke to said the more people report it ....the more likely they will spend some time on a fix. Good luck to you both ....will be very interesting to see what BS you guys are given :audibash:

If we all get slightly different results I would really like to use these as further evidence in my emails to Audi asking why different garages are taking different approaches for the same issue.

Also I think an email including the details of as many of us as possible might make them sit up and listen. Something like:

Audi S3 - Sportback
Reg: ******
Reported: 12/12/2014
Result: Advised as characteristic

Audi S3 - Saloon
Reported: 20/01/2015
Results: Fault confirmed and advised as no fix available

Audi S3 - Saloon
Reported: 02/03/2015
Results: Fault confirmed and advised as no fix available

....etc ..etc...

Reactions: Madmo
@Madmo you in at Dundee? I am in for a oil change soon so was going to mention it to them. But if they are no help with you then I won't bother.

You should complain even if its just to have it on record :thumbs up:....plus it may help the greater cause!!! :s3addict:

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and Blackwhite
I've had my s3 for 4 weeks.

1000miles
Had it from driving out of showroom
Very annoying
Just called local stealer and they said "sorry until you bring in car, nothing we can do"
All I wanted to do is register the fault/complaint.

I've had my s3 for 4 weeks.

1000miles
Had it from driving out of showroom
Very annoying
Just called local stealer and they said "sorry until you bring in car, nothing we can do"
All I wanted to do is register the fault/complaint.

You will have to take the car into them so they can assess it and confirm the fault.

Yes mate its in at Dundee. I will post on here what the reply is. The workshop manager was going to take a Audio file of the noise and send it to Audi to see what they advise.

I cant understand, why isnt there a fix?

Ive looked at pictures of how they fixed this issue on other engines in the VW/Audi group, its just a clip that sits on the end of the wastegate rod mechanism to stop it vibrating.
Why cant this be sorted for the newer engine...is it a totally different design where a clip wont work? If not then come on Audi, pull your ****** finger out and design a new clip!!

Ive got pics of the clip for a mk6 golf gti but cant get them loaded as Im using an ipad!

Anyway, go here and you will see the pics...

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20401

Yes mate its in at Dundee. I will post on here what the reply is. The workshop manager was going to take a Audio file of the noise and send it to Audi to see what they advise.

If I remember well a sound file has been posted in the thread several months ago. I did perform a spectral analysis of it that clearly shows the frequency of the noise (see corresponding post).

I personaly do not have this problem on my s3, so far... 16k kms

had my S3 SportBack in for its first service today. I had a 2.0T 230bhp Audi TT as a courtesy car. Had EXACTLY the same noise as my S3. maybe this is just the Audi engine norm now.?

To be fair, i can't usually notice it on my car, only sometimes and as such doesn't bother me at all. I was more bothered about the squeaky brakes (in reverse, in the damp/just after rain) but that issue seems to have gone.

The metallic noise the TT made was much more noticeable than mine. however it didn't stop me enjoying the car for the day!

Reactions: David83S3
Does anyone have any pics of this wastegate rod on the 8v cars?

Id like to see if its a totally different design. If not, why on earth cant a fix be manufactured?

Reactions: lucas-suisse and David83S3
I've googled it and there isn't a picture on the Web for the 8V wastegate rod .....well nothing obvious, but I don't know what it looks like.

Is this the Clip ....>

Wastegate rod clip

...and is this the clip on the rod (Not sure what car this is?)

2 0T font b Engine b font Turbo Turbine Clip For VW font b GTI b

I believe this clip has been tried on our engine and it doesn't fix the rattle...

Reactions: veeeight
I have this rattle too and have a case opened with Audi UK. They will be calling me back to tell me which dealer to take it too. I don't expect it to be fixed at this stage but wanted to put a complaint in asap so that it is on record. I will let you know what happens next.

Personally I always drive with music but the problem with this is that I turn the music down/off when I have a passenger and this is when I notice it most!!!!!! FIX UP Audi

Reactions: lucas-suisse and David83S3
So to my understanding the rattling noise is created by the wastegate rod which is affected by air flow and vibrations caused by exhaust gases coming out of the turbo.
A bigger downpipe increases the volume and speed in which the exhaust gases can be channelled out of the turbo/engine.

In theory it would decrease the amount of influences the air flow has on the wastegate and maybe even reduce the vibrations.
So couldn't a aftermarket downpipe "fix" the rattling noise by relieving the wastegate-rods?

I personnaly feel that this problem has been reported for too long now and Audi HAS TO sort it out officialy now.

The reported noise has been clearly identified and analysed (spectrum) : see here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ween-1500-3000-rpm.214068/page-6#post-2337801

So, for all of you who unfortunately have this issue with your S3, it is great time to send a letter to Audi in your country, refering to this thread.

We all are expecting an answer NOW ! (other that "this is a normal feature of your S3 8V" !!!).

As of today, with 16'000kms I still do not have it, so far.... but who knows... :)

By putting an heavy presure on Audi on this point, we should get the right answer (Hope so).

Thanks.

Took the car in this morning and the master tech took it for a test drive. He could hear the rattle and said that a customer also complied about the same rattle the other week and they found it was the wastegate rod vibrating. I also have some rattles inside the cabin where the seat belt goes inside the B pillar, and he actually pick up on a rattle from the drivers side rear door. So those are getting sorted out, but guessing they will produce a piece of paper with the TPI as with David83S3 :mad new:.

Think I'll have to use the email David83S3 to audi UK as a template. ;)

Well I have a verdict on my engine rattle from my local dealer. They contacted Audi technical about the problem and were advised to take their S3 demo out for a test drive to see if it makes the same noise which it did. So Audi technical have come back and said " it's the characteristic of that car".

So I think I also need to send Audi UK a email about this problem. The more complaints the better

Question is.....why cant they make a fix? Golf R owners have the exact same problem!

They can make a fix, they fixed the 1.4 engine but I was told that lots of people complained so Audi sorted it out, I was also told that the C clip that was used in the 8P was tested on the 8V but had no effect.

Like Madmo I was told it was a characteristic of the car and to accept it, I made it very clear that I didn't accept it and wrote to the head of business of the dealership I used stating that I wanted part of my email sent to the AudiUK, I had other complaints for him that weren't related for AudiUK.

Sounds like we need to make a lot of noise on the subject !!! I am still in talks with Audi UK .....So far I have had an email back asking me to confirm my details before they can proceed. I have done this and am waiting for an actual response.

*****EVERYONE THAT HAS THIS RATTLE SHOULD WRITE AN EMAIL TO AUDI UK*****

Even if it doesn't bother you personally .....that complaint might help those that it does bother :s3addict:

Reactions: ammo-mcr, Madmo, lucas-suisse and 3 others
Took the car in this morning and the master tech took it for a test drive. He could hear the rattle and said that a customer also complied about the same rattle the other week and they found it was the wastegate rod vibrating. I also have some rattles inside the cabin where the seat belt goes inside the B pillar, and he actually pick up on a rattle from the drivers side rear door. So those are getting sorted out, but guessing they will produce a piece of paper with the TPI as with David83S3 :mad new:.

Think I'll have to use the email David83S3 to audi UK as a template. ;)

Can someone please repost the template as I can't for the life of me find it looking though this thread

Also what is the email address to send it to and I will send as well with my reg plate etc

Thanks

Mentioned this before, but I had this noise on my S3 and at around 10,000 miles, it vanished. Never really bothered me anyway.

So to my understanding the rattling noise is created by the wastegate rod which is affected by air flow and vibrations caused by exhaust gases coming out of the turbo.
A bigger downpipe increases the volume and speed in which the exhaust gases can be channelled out of the turbo/engine.

In theory it would decrease the amount of influences the air flow has on the wastegate and maybe even reduce the vibrations.
So couldn't a aftermarket downpipe "fix" the rattling noise by relieving the wastegate-rods?

I have the noise. 5K and been there for a while now. Only noticed it when adding an intake and dont know if its due to the intake or I just noticed trying to listen to the new intake sound. Added a downpipe and the noise is still there so the theory doesnt work. In fact, the noise is louder after adding the downpipe. Havent taken the car in and I wont take it in to get this checked. Im tuned and I wont risk getting a TD1 flag for this noise. I read somewhere that adding an aftermarket diverter valve would fix the noise. Can anyone confirm this?

Reactions: Gorillajebus
Thank your for sharing your experience with us hjvelez.
Your information that a downpipe will not fix the rattle saved me some money ;).

I haven't heard of the idea of fitting a diverter valve to fix the rattle.
I have absolutely no idea whether that would work.

Sounds like we need to make a lot of noise on the subject !!! I am still in talks with Audi UK .....So far I have had an email back asking me to confirm my details before they can proceed. I have done this and am waiting for an actual response.

*****EVERYONE THAT HAS THIS RATTLE SHOULD WRITE AN EMAIL TO AUDI UK*****

Even if it doesn't bother you personally .....that complaint might help those that it does bother :s3addict:

Letter sent. Happy for you to use my details if you are compiling evidence. Mine was reported to Leeds Audi - lent me know and I'll send the details: date, mileage etc

Thanks Si ......the next stage might be a group complaint ...but lets see what the managing director of Audi UK has to say first :)

Had a response .........(and its a joke)

Dear Mr Northen

Thank you for your most recent communication regarding your Audi S3.

I am pleased that the many positive aspects of this fantastic model led you to choose this car as your next purchase, however, I
was equally concerned to read the feedback provided in your recent communication.

The purchase of every car from within our network should be a most enjoyable time, so I am sorry that this has not been your
experience on this occasion. It was with concern that I noted your comments that you find certain aspects of the design of your
Audi S3 annoying.

I have investigated your concerns, viewing both the technical report from Northampton Audi as well as feedback from the Audi
Technical Support Team. I can confirm that the findings of Northampton Audi are correct as advised and that the concern you
raised, is in fact not a fault but an operational noise.

Considerable testing and research is completed during the design of any Audi vehicle and it is always helpful to receive
feedback, as customer acceptance is crucial to the success of our products. We have therefore passed your views back to the
Design Team.
As a valued customer, your opinions are very important to us and the time that you have taken to put them in writing is greatly
appreciated. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to respond.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Poku
Customer Relations Manager
Audi UK Executive Office

Reactions: lucas-suisse
So I responded back with this .........

Dear Emmanuel
Thank you for your response to my complaint. I must however strongly disagree with your conclusion and state that I am not happy with this as a solution to my issue with the fault on your product.

You are stating that the noise is an “operational noise” of the car? Would you not agree that all examples of this engine should therefore make the same noise. I know this not to be true and have colleagues that have the same engine, but no rattling noise. I also have many other colleagues that all suffer from the same noise and have all complained to their local Audi dealership.

The root cause of the noise is the waste gate rod rattling against the fixtures that hold it in place in the engine compartment. I do not for one second believe that Audi would design a mechanism that creates such a rattle from its engines. Audi are famous for their solid built cars….not lose parts that make rattling noises.

The most frustrating part of this is that I know that VW group are aware of the problem and have fixed it in the past using a small and I expect very cheap metal clip (Picture attached). This clip is simply attached to the rod to stop it from rattling. (Picture attached)

The part number for this clip is: 06J145220A
The technical bulletin is below:

Rattling Noises from Engine Compartment Area or Exhaust System

21 10 01 August 25, 2010 2024061

Customers may complain of a rattling noise from engine or exhaust area while accelerating from 1800-3000 RPM.
In order to complete proper diagnosis and ensure that the noise is coming from the turbocharger, use the following procedure:
1. Ensure that there is no physical internal or external damage to the turbocharger. If damage is observed, continue diagnosis and repair as necessary. If no damage is observed, proceed to step 2.
2. Test drive the vehicle to duplicate and familiarize yourself with the noise. Noise can typically be duplicated by driving up a moderate incline, beginning at 35 mph in 4th gear (manual or automatic transmission) and accelerating through the RPM range of 1800-3000 RPM under moderate to heavy throttle. Obey all local traffic laws.
3. Once you have confirmed and familiarized yourself with the noise, attach a 2 ounce wheel weight to the waste gate actuator rod and take the vehicle for another test drive. If after attaching the weight to the actuator rod the noise is quieter or has changed in pitch, DO NOT replace the turbo charger. Remove the weight, create a VTA ticket in Elsa Web and contact the Volkswagen Technical Helpline at 800-555-5555 FREE. If after attaching the weight to the actuator rod the noise has not changed, remove the weight and continue diagnosis and repair as necessary.

So I would kindly ask again what Audi intend to do to fix the fault on my car? Surely all I need is a 40 pence clip fixed to my car ….? Considering the car I am driving is worth £35000 I would expect this to be perfectly achievable.
My first Audi experience is becoming very frustrating and I am now starting to doubt my hopes that the Audi experience would be a cut above the rest.

Kind Regards
David Northen

Reactions: ammo-mcr, lucas-suisse and Si_S3