3.0 Quattro Sport Diff

V6_quattro

Reaction score
Hi Guys. Rear differential has been making some nasty thumping noises for the last 5 or 6k and seems to be gradually getting worse, it does not do it when cold and fist driven, only when warmed up. Occurs when pulling away, mainly in the lower gears, sounds like somebody hitting the underside rear of the car but will does it sometimes maybe 5 or 6 times after each other, especially when under a bit more load i.e going up an incline.

Im looking at sourcing a used diff, as it seems more the norm that they last the life of the car, and second hand would be cheaper than a rebuild, from what Ive read anyway. I think ive found a fairly low miles one, same engine, same year car, but its an auto, and mines is a manual, will there be any differences? I cant see the diff code on mine as its behind the rear mount. Any info or guidance would be greatly received. :) Thanks.

I've recently broken my 2.5tdi manual, and a guy with a 3.0 was interested in the diff, but he did his research and found they were incompatible - so I think they're pretty specific. That said, I'm not sure what the differences are, if it's just ratios or more than that.

Check the diff mounts and also the centre bearing on the driveshaft. Diffs usually growl or whine when failing. Knocking suggests mounts which will be show up worse under acceleration in low gears. They would be worth checking as it is a much cheaper fix than replacing a diff.