Manual gearbox oil change?

dannyh1991uk

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello all,

2006 Audi A3... 2.0 TDi BKD engine... 63,000 miles.

The car is asking for a service (which i will be doing the weekend) I was looking in the service book and it appears that the gearbox oil has never been changed.

I have thought the gear changes could be smoother but just put this down to the car.

Can anyone advise when to change the gearbox oil, and also how this is done, can it be done by myself?

first of you dont have to change it its not part of the service program

i have done a gearbox oil change before a bit of a pain to do but i would say worth it , just make sure you go to your dealer and get the oil! not from a motor factor as it has special additives in it! i had crunchy gear changes in my mk4 tdi box as we filled it with 5 speed oil , swapped it out for fresh 6 speed oil and it was like a charm smooth as can be !

, top tips for doing it are its 2.3 liters of the top of my head so you need to buy 3 bottles , think they are £15 a bottle

cannt remember the tools but the filling hole is on the front of the gearbox usually a large hex key or spline , and the drain plug is on the bottom , make sure you can open the filling hole before you drain the system ! and i actually parked on a slight hill with my front and at the top of my drive and use a short length of hose pipe to fill he gearbox as its hard to get the bottles in ! you can go for a drive before you drop it so its thinner and more drops out also i parked mine on a hill to slightly over fill the system as it quietens down gear chatter a touch on a single mass flywheel

Reactions: dannyh1991uk and Dave4ku
Check with what Opie oils would recommend as they have the benefit of masses of feed back.

first of you dont have to change it its not part of the service program

i have done a gearbox oil change before a bit of a pain to do but i would say worth it , just make sure you go to your dealer and get the oil! not from a motor factor as it has special additives in it! i had crunchy gear changes in my mk4 tdi box as we filled it with 5 speed oil , swapped it out for fresh 6 speed oil and it was like a charm smooth as can be !

, top tips for doing it are its 2.3 liters of the top of my head so you need to buy 3 bottles , think they are £15 a bottle

cannt remember the tools but the filling hole is on the front of the gearbox usually a large hex key or spline , and the drain plug is on the bottom , make sure you can open the filling hole before you drain the system ! and i actually parked on a slight hill with my front and at the top of my drive and use a short length of hose pipe to fill he gearbox as its hard to get the bottles in ! you can go for a drive before you drop it so its thinner and more drops out also i parked mine on a hill to slightly over fill the system as it quietens down gear chatter a touch on a single mass flywheel

Cheers for the good info mate :)
Was just wondering cuz its done 60k miles and in the book has no reference of it ever being done.
Not sure if the gears feel a little clunky going in, especially 3rd... Was wondering if this would be why, or does having a diesel make any difference.

i mean it wont hurt to change it , i would say it would improve the feel of it as the viscosity of the oil will change over a long period of time and heat cycles its going ot cost you 45 to do it if i remember correctly and it will help keep things running smooth