Had a go porting my manifold- Anyway of knowing how well I did before final mapping?

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
Basically I ported my own manifold and now I'm wondering if I should have spent a bit more time on it... I took plenty of metal out (possibly a bit too much in places), but was a bit rushed for time and didn't spend a huge amount of time sanding/polishing and the surface was a little uneven in places.

At the time I just needed to get the car back together and was kindo thinking "it can't be any worse than it was", but now I'm having second thoughts... Here's some snaps of the finished mani:

The first thing that got me thinking is that there's definitely a different exhaust tone at higher revs... It's hard to describe but it doesn't sound as clean and maybe a bit hollow (sort of dronier) if that makes any sense!?

Basically what's the chance what I've done has been detrimental at all and is there anyway of testing this by means of logging etc... Or is it worth my while getting a second hand mani and taking a bit more time about it?

I know it's a bit of an odd question but just don't want to drive all the way to my mapper just to find this is holding it back, and I know we're only talking about a little k03s here but I'm really trying to squeeze out every last bit out of it here.

Or should I just shut up, stop worrying and leave it as it!? lol

Thanks

Just an update on this...

I ran I diagnostics check last week and it was coming up with a knock sensor fault, had a look and the thing wasn't even plugged in!

Plugged it back in and now that "hollow" sound I described has gone, acceleration and exhaust tone it much crisper... I'd imagine the ECU was just pulling loads of timing and giving me a dull sound from poor combustion.

Oh well, all good now! . . . Just gotta try scrimp enough $$$'s together for mapping now :(