Starting problem Audi S3

vinniecoup

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here!

I recently purchased my Audi S3 BAM Engine with a Quantam re-map, love the car! I'm used to have RWD and FWD and this is in a different league!

I do have a problem with the car though. On a cold start up the engine will splutter, revs fluctuate from around 1500rpm to 300rpm and also a slight hint of misfire. I've recently noticed a popping sound coming from the airbox when this happens. The car has cut out on my twice so what I have to do is keep my foot on the accelerator for around 15/20 seconds then the car will run fine.

I have recently had a major service including new plugs, oil etc. It was doing this before I had the service.

I've plugged it up to an OBD reader and no faults have flagged and none in storage.

Any help would be appreciated into finding the problem?

If you need any more details just let me know :thumbsup:

Sounds like an air leak... you will need to check the pipes under the inlet manifold for splits etc...

I would also use VCDS or VCDS lite over a generic OBD reader as they don't tend to pick up all the codes VAG use...

Info on that is in the FAQ sticky thread

Get a smoke test done if there is someone near to you that can do that

<tuffty/>

I had the service done in Euro performance Llantrisant. I put the S2000 air filter on so instead of them putting a panel filter in they did a smoke test instead, it came back all clear with no leaks.

Occasionally there is a strong smell of burning coming from the front of the car and through the vents, I'd say it was a burning rubber/metal. I was standing outside the car yesterday and noticed smoke, but when looking under the engine bay I couldn't find the cause of it. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it?

This problem seems to be quite intermittent too. As some days it's fine, mostly the warmer weather and most morning's is when the problem mostly occurs.

I will have to sort out getting it fault checked with the VCDS.

Cheers for the help!

Hi vinnnie,

I'm having exactly the same problem as you. I had it a few weeks back when the weather was cold. It went away, now its back.
I have a feeling its something to do with the CTS so im going to change that to see if anything helps there. Will let you know how that goes though. Do you drive a dolphin grey s3 btw?

Hi Joe,

It's more of a nuisance than anything. I will have to check that, I'm also going to check the air flow meter as when the problem occurs it sounds like it's back firing back into the inlet manifold. I will have to get it vagcom checked. I will let you know how that goes.

Yeah that's me mate. My first post had to be a problem didn't it lol

As I was leaving work earlier my car was running awful on start up and I scanned it and got misfire in cylinder 1 and 2 and the flywheel was rattle with the really rough idle but as soon as the idle comes back to normal there is no knock and the car runs fine. Baffled me what is making it idle so rough, I only changed my mad about 3 months ago, could it be that?