1999 A3 FMIC question

Jenno007

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've decided I'm going to install a front mount intercooler on my 1999 A3 as it is desperately needed with these 40 degree days in Australia that we have been having lately.

I have read through all the intercooler threads on this forums (mainly Tuffty's) which have all been a great help. However one thing that isn't raised in these threads is using the existing piping from the turbo to the standard side mount intercooler.

Is it possible for me to take out the side mount whist keeping the piping from the turbo to the side mount and then adding some extra piping so it will reach where the front mount will sit. To explain this a little better I used my amazing drawing skills to make a diagram explaining it a little better.

Diagram 1 below shows the current standard piping (I note that the throttle body is actually the other way around however that doesn't affect my question and I thought it may be easier to draw and explain with it facing the other way)

n1XkllF.png

Diagram 2 shows the piping I want to reuse in red with the new piping added on so it can reach the front mount.

Will there be any issues or reasons why I shouldn't do this? It will just be a lot easier than having to replace all the piping that already goes where I want it to (from the side mount to the turbo).

Thanks for your help!

The existing pipework you want to keep is very restrictive. There Is a flat pancake pipe in the section you want to reuse.

I was worried that may be the case. Do you need a hoist to get under the car enough to get the new piping in place all the way to the turbo? Or would car stands suffice?

hey mate,
you could always replace the pancake pipe if you really wanted to, i'm pretty sure its been proven to be one of those mods with absolutely no gains. Anyway there are couple of ways you could install a FMIC and keep the existing piping, this is my second setup so far, main reason is i wanted my engine bay to appear standard and i think it looks a lot neater. You could also use one sided intercooler (like the Seat one), not sure how they flow. Anyway, here is a pic of mine..

Thanks for the reply mate. I was hoping on keeping the pancake piping as it will be a heap easier to install the front mount then. Referring to my original diagram have you replaced the piping that I've coloured red or kept those pipes all standard? I can see a new pipe going into the engine bay under the headlight but what about behind that?

Your setup looks great!

hey mate,
you could always replace the pancake pipe if you really wanted to, i'm pretty sure its been proven to be one of those mods with absolutely no gains. Anyway there are couple of ways you could install a FMIC and keep the existing piping, this is my second setup so far, main reason is i wanted my engine bay to appear standard and i think it looks a lot neater. You could also use one sided intercooler (like the Seat one), not sure how they flow. Anyway, here is a pic of mine..

Thanks for the reply mate. I was hoping on keeping the pancake piping as it will be a heap easier to install the front mount then. Referring to my original diagram have you replaced the piping that I've coloured red or kept those pipes all standard? I can see a new pipe going into the engine bay under the headlight but what about behind that?

Your setup looks great!

Hey mate, all the piping you've highlighted in red is all standard including the pancake pipe.
The pipe under the headlight goes into an aftermarket intake pipe which has exactly the same shape as the original.
This setup is easily reversible back to original if you ever wanted to run the side mount again

that perfectly answers what I was wondering! Thanks a heap! Have you noticed much of an increase in performance since the installation of your front mount? I'm going to do exactly what you have done it looks great.

If it's not too much trouble could you link me to exactly what you purchased?

I am weighing up buying a front mount with both the inlet and outlet on the same side as you mentioned but then when you look at the car from the front through the front bumper you will only see the silicon joiners on one side which may look weird

I actually installed mine before doing the chip, exhaust, K04 and so on, had it out once during our summer and I definitely noticed a loss while it was out. I'd give you the link but it's probably been 10yrs since I installed it, fairly sure i got one of those universal pipe kits. The one sided intercooler may not look too bad, i've swapped my silicone pipes to black and you can hardly notice the piping/joiners...here is one of my more recent pics

Reactions: superkarl and s3dave
That looks amazing.. I've just noticed that your front bumper is a lot more open then mine. Mine has a lot more plasic and doesn't allow for as much air flow. Is that the standard bumper?

I didn't realise you were running a K04, your A3 must be a weapon!!

That looks amazing.. I've just noticed that your front bumper is a lot more open then mine. Mine has a lot more plasic and doesn't allow for as much air flow. Is that the standard bumper?

I didn't realise you were running a K04, your A3 must be a weapon!!

Thanks mate.
It's a standard bumper which i first modded for the FMIC.
Since then I've opened the sides for a custom intake I'm still in the progress of building.
The middle of the bumper where the intercooler sits is just cut but the sides I plastic welded because the plastic would have become too flimsy, you can see how its folded in. The intake behind this is top secret! nah, i'll prob do a separate thread on that

Ahh right thank god I was worried I needed to track down a new bumper. Did you weld in the metal grill in the picture you posted above?

Where abouts in Australia are you from anyway?

Thanks mate.
It's a standard bumper which i first modded for the FMIC.
Since then I've opened the sides for a custom intake I'm still in the progress of building.
The middle of the bumper where the intercooler sits is just cut but the sides I plastic welded because the plastic would have become too flimsy, you can see how its folded in. The intake behind this is top secret! nah, i'll prob do a separate thread on that

Ahh right thank god I was worried I needed to track down a new bumper. Did you weld in the metal grill in the picture you posted above?

Where abouts in Australia are you from anyway?

Thanks for the likes guys!

Jenno, it's a tight fit but you'll be fine with the stock bumper.
The grill is only stuck from behind, just cut to size and silicon in. It's been there for ages and hasn't moved.
You can sort of see in this pic...thats my intake I've been working on...s**ts on anything thats on the market by a mile, actually i don't think there is anything equivalent

I was actually thinking of plastic welding it into the bumper but it's been fine and looks ok

I'm in Melbourne, what about you?