Advice on stop and start

Frenchy1980

Reaction score
I have a A3 2.0TDI sportback, the stop and start hasn't worked since prior to Xmas, I presumed this was due to the weather change, but after searching net, and reading Audi book, stop start should work unless temp is below 4 degrees.

I have followed book and tips on net, but each time I stop at a junction and release the clutch, engine stays running, display on dash that stop start not activated (same display as if air con was on), what also baffles me even more, if I where to stall, if I press clutch in, engine starts.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to test please?

Many thanks

Got a similar problem , sometimes it works fine n other times nothing ? Not active on dash illuminates ?

Mine doesn't work at all now, unless I stall, then it works!

There are a few conditions that effect the start stop,

Drivers seatbelt - make sure it is in nice and tight.
Internal temp - if you car does not think it can maintain it it will keep the engine going
Battery level - if this is borderline it will also keep the car running
Outside temp is to lo it keeps it running.

my advice is turn it off
its crap

All the start stops I've seen stopped working due to the battery. So I'm 99% this will be all your fixs. Albeit you've met the start/stop criteria above ^^

Thare are a number ofvthings that can affect the start stop system but the number one issus is low battery amps/volts some of the others are the internal temp setting, the drivers seat belt, AC on and I am sure there are a few more

'Varta' is the OEM battery from Audi, you will need 70Ah and 680A cold cranking amps, I'd recommend the start stop version which has 760A for CCA. The part number is below.

I've seen a Yuasa battery 12v startup power 760amps 80Ah with a 5yr guarantee so may pick one up this week

Reactions: Audi Toby