IGO 8 on RNS-E

TheAnticitizen1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been looking around the internet (dangerous I know!) for running alternative navigation on the RNS-E. I have a RNS-E with the CD/TV button with 2012 maps however It really annoys me that I cannot see street names when I'm driving. To me viewing the nearby streets is really important when navigating as you may be looking for a specific road ahead of your current location.

In my golf I had a waywell Chinese navigation unit which TBH made the expensive RNS-E look retro (to start the navigation loads from an SD card not the DVD player) It ran IGO 8 maps which I thought was fantastic I could clearly see the road I was passing, which lane I should be in etc..

I've found a few videos from our friends in Russia where they use an RNS-E with IGO 8 maps however I cannot find any information on how they achieved this!

RNS-E and NAVI IGO.avi - YouTube

Does anyone know how it is done?

I am a fan on my R-NSE but If I'm honest its flaws are steering me towards buying one of the Chinese units...

You can bring street names up, have a play while you're parked up! When you have the map up, just turn the selector knob and it will zoom in or out to different ranges around the car.

doubt it's easy. on the video is a touchscreen unit too.

im sure its an rns-e unit with the inners swapped around

It is an RNS-E where they've changed the screen on internals to make it run the way it does. As mentioned previously, street detail depends on the speed at which you're traveling. The rns-e will automatically zoom out to less detail the faster you go, vice versa. As far as i'm aware theres no real solution to making the maps better aside from changing the unit altogether to something aftermarket.

they have used the Multifunction navigation control unit which they sell on there site with the addition of a touchscreen overlay on the rnse screen .

probably not that difficult to achieve the touch screen ,but the price is in rubels . 17,056.00 RUB = 290.18 GBP

used to have a full car pc setup in a mk5 golf some years back . so can be done .