Audi Avant buying guide

S3_Olly

Full Throttle
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Hi guys i'm looking at movin up from an Audi S3 8L to an Audi A4 Avant but im just after a few pointers when buying, an S3 isnt ideal anymore with me playing ice hockey so I need a bigger boot.
Im not sure what im after whether its an A4 Allroad, S4 Avant or RS4 Avant, iv always had a manual but someone mentioned about trying an S-Tronic box what does everyone think?
Another thing is where would people recommend buying one from just I know they hold there value being either an S4 Avant or an RS4 Avant so I would be looking at finance options so do you guys have an idea of what the best option would be or where to look.
is there anything I should be looking for when buying, I would really appreciate your help with this.

cheers guys

Olly

Well for starters the 'boot' isnt much bigger.Id have a look at one before you commit if capacity is the main issue for change. Imperative that the vehicle has a full service history...a proper one with extra oil changes if possible. I would not consider buying a vehicle of that type without a cast iron warranty either. Even if the vehicle is at an audi stealers id have it looked over independantly. When these go wrong they aint cheap.

Hi Olly

I have recently ordered my 6th A4 Avant (S4 this time), I have had both petrol & diesel and manual & auto, ranging
from 2.0TDI - 4.2V8.
First thing to say is, it depends on how much load you’ve got – as Johnny says the boot isn’t that much bigger.
I have to carry a fair bit of kit for work and when we go on holiday I have plenty of space.
Perhaps take all your kit down the local Audi dealers and try it.

Also you mention finance, are you looking at new, nearly new or a few years old?
As I’m sure you know, there’s a world of difference between an allroad & RS4 so perhaps narrow down your choices a bit first,
then hopefully someone can you give model specific advice?

In terms of the S-tronic, my current car (3.0 TDi BE quattro) is the first S-tronic I’ve had and I ****** love it, wouldn’t go back to manual!

PS…. will be selling my 2011 3.0TDI quattro black Edition in June!!

Cheers
Keef

Agree with previous posts. Have a look at the boot space and see if it meets your needs. For me the A4 avant boot space is big enough for everyday use, even taking kids buggies. But that might not hold all of your stuff. It also depends on if you prefer to have the back seats as well, otherwise you can always fold them down.

As for the S-Tronic, i drove it for the first time recently on a 3.0 Quattro and I really like it. You will be impressed I'm sure.

Unbelievable to say but as a family of 4 we are slowly outgrowing our A4. It doesn't really come down to everyday use, although the school runs are a bit of a pain because we take our friends 2 kids as well which is becoming a bit of a squeeze.

The other issue we have is when we drive in the continent on holiday. I usually have to carry a spare cover or sheet to stop prying eyes looking at everything 'wedged' in the boot.

Make sure you get the cargo net because that has come in really useful for us, particularly on said journeys.

I'm probably going to move to the new A6 when funds permit. Overall though I thing the A4 is well balanced in relation to being able to throw it around corners with no worries and loading it up when necessary. I can't imagine the A6 is going to be so agile.

Unbelievable to say but as a family of 4 we are slowly outgrowing our A4. It doesn't really come down to everyday use, although the school runs are a bit of a pain because we take our friends 2 kids as well which is becoming a bit of a squeeze.

The other issue we have is when we drive in the continent on holiday. I usually have to carry a spare cover or sheet to stop prying eyes looking at everything 'wedged' in the boot.

Make sure you get the cargo net because that has come in really useful for us, particularly on said journeys.

I'm probably going to move to the new A6 when funds permit. Overall though I thing the A4 is well balanced in relation to being able to throw it around corners with no worries and loading it up when necessary. I can't imagine the A6 is going to be so agile.

After driving a A6 and comparing the space with the A4, I was kinda disappointed that the A6 isn't that much bigger boot wise than the A4. Maybe my expectations were too high and expected a much bigger space. But at least driving wise, I was surprised that the A6 was very agile and good on the corners.

Crazyfool, I know what you mean about covers on long journeys. I'm always worried about the stuff in back for overnight parking on the continent, but the covers helps the situation a little.

I think for me the A6 is more favourable because of the extra width, particularly in the back...although I'm concerned parking and narrow country roads could be a bit of an issue.

I've always said, the bigger the car the more crap you fill it with...and I'm sure this will be my case, but a little extra room would help.