S3 APY engine advice

c20tbo

Reaction score
Evening gents.

Firsty Hi to all with me recently purchasing my first S3, its a 2000 model i think APY powered, in grey, 85k and so on:

I purchased this car with known engine problems, on viewing it had a missfire, initially thought it was a coil on plug issue but after digging deeper no1 cylinder is reading 50psi dry compression test, after a wet test its upto 200psi so giving that i diagnose ring failure, all other cylinders are 175ish.

I work away from home so once back i will remove head and drop sump.

So i hve a few questions regarding my issue and the S3's due to my limited knowledge:

Looking for advise and the best way forward to making this engine right? i initially planned to do no1 rings only, belt kit, clean oil pick up etc, it is relitavely low miles for its age, im not going for big BHP as i have another toy for that but i do plan on a remap.

What would be the best parts for this engine? make wise

Does my engine run the K04?

Any advise or tips on the strip down?

Thanks Robert

Personally I'd change all the rings on all cylinders so you get even compression rather than changing no1. Secondly whilst your there, budget for a set of rifle drilled rods and bearings.. Pick up pipe change and I'd change valve seals and guides on the head! Then you can tune to high heaven! Or if your not into that, have confidence that your engine is strong as can be and enjoy it :)

IE rods and bearings available from Bill @Badger 5. Other items are all OEM items.

Your use car runs a k04 but why not check or get it rebuilt? Most likely it'll have a few cracks on the hot side or manifold.. But your better off getting a brand new unit from Beach buggy turbos with an uprated actuator and a badger 5 manifold ported to 47mm from bill and custom mapped to suit. That would be a lethal car yet still very drivable!

Ps the brand new unit is literally less than half the price than you'll get it from Audi. And it's better made with better bearings etc.

I did contemplate doing all 4 cylinders to be honest, most rings come as a pack of 4.

Rods im not really interested in changing, as i have another toy at 800bhp, i just want this car to run spot on with the possibility of a simple remap to lively it up a little.

With it being 85k i also dont want to be stripping the head more clean it up, once off i will have a better view on that

Based on the fact you have a toy and no plans to go crazy.
Just do:
Rings
Hone bores
HG
Timing belt kit
Oil and water pump.

That should do it nicely :)

Thats what i was thinking:

So what are the best parts to use apart from Gen Audi? am i right in saying Contitech belt kit? Elring headgasket kit? what about rings - big ends - rod bolts - oil/water pump?

Is there a how to guide on Timing belt, and do these engines run a chain also?

Any more views on what parts to use guys, also what are the standard ring gaps?