HELP!!

tomcpfc96

Reaction score
okay so im only 17, still a baby yes i know lol but ive been looking at the 8L chassis 1.9 tdi 110 and it fits perfectly into my budget! happy days yes, But im not too sure what the pros and cons of these cars are? also if anyone knows the list of stuff that comes as standard and what optional extras are common and what are good ones to look out for ect and if there is anything to look out for when looking at these cars? as im sure you know im pretty clueless with audi's any help would be more than appreciated!

thanks, Tom

Reactions: Sandra
Hi Tom, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have a read of the faqs thread atvthe top of this section. Lots of info in there. Enjoy the forum. :) x

will do now! im used to cliosport.net lol similar layout but this looks all strange to me haha insurance isnt too bad, ive got 4k as a budget and thats to cover the car, insurance deposit and a few hours of fuel lol been quoted £1,750 for the a3 or im looking at £1,500 for a 1.4 16v clio from a similar year. OH can someone confirm £225 road tax pa :(((

hi tom, my first car was a clio 1.4 16v and they're perfect for a first car, cheap to rung and nippy little cars, but you have to remember they are french. the head gasket blew on my because i had a coolant leak apart from that i couldnt really fault it. i then went on to have an a3 8l like you would like but a petrol. they are lovely cars to drive and are well built. and if looked after properly will last a long time. 1750 is a decent price on the a3 for a first car. i paid 1600 on the clio and that wasnt even in my name. if you can afford to buy the a3 then do it. you can get them for a decent price and it would be a great car

hi tom, my first car was a clio 1.4 16v and they're perfect for a first car, cheap to rung and nippy little cars, but you have to remember they are french. the head gasket blew on my because i had a coolant leak apart from that i couldnt really fault it. i then went on to have an a3 8l like you would like but a petrol. they are lovely cars to drive and are well built. and if looked after properly will last a long time. 1750 is a decent price on the a3 for a first car. i paid 1600 on the clio and that wasnt even in my name. if you can afford to buy the a3 then do it. you can get them for a decent price and it would be a great car

I did similar to the above. I had a 1.2 16v Clio for my first car and it was fine for the most part of ownership, only had to replace the spark plugs and coilpack (Common Fault). But as above, remember they are French. Mine threw a wobbly, idle was rough and would cut out dangerously at junctions without knowing. Repair bill from a reputable Renault garage came to over £1K so decided to get rid and get the car in my sig. No problems for a year, other than wear and tear, but now EML is on and again and it's a large repair bill so I'm getting rid and getting an 8L S3.

If I were you, I'd go for an Audi. And if you do decide to do this, go for a Petrol. As it's your first car, I doubt you'll be doing massive miles so a Diesel wouldn't really be cost effective.

Good luck :icon_thumright:

agree with LEEDS2592 :) and good choice with the s3 8l leeds :icon_thumright:

Reactions: leeds2592
agree with LEEDS2592 :) and good choice with the s3 8l leeds :icon_thumright:

Cheers mate, can't wait to get rid of mine and get a new (older) car. Bit of step up going from 150bhp to over 200!

picked up mine at the beginning of november and cant really fault it. hell of a car! insurance is a ****** on them if your young though!

picked up mine at the beginning of november and cant really fault it. hell of a car! insurance is a ****** on them if your young though!

I turn 22 next year and will have 2 years NCB but got 3 points. From the quotes I've been doing with this info, it isn't too expensive. Just need to find a good one now :happy:

not too bad then! ooo may i ask what the three points were for? theres plenty of good ones out there!

not too bad then! ooo may i ask what the three points were for? theres plenty of good ones out there!

Points were for speeding. Was a bit unlucky with how I got caught as I was coming down a hill going from 40 to 30 and I always take it out of gear and coast down. They were hiding behind a tree with a hand gun thing and got me. Took it on the chin, lesson learnt.

Just a bit weary as I've never bought a car with such high miles, all the ones I've looked at are over 100k miles. Just need to make sure I go head over heart or I'll end up with the first S3 I see!

ahh how frustrating! well i picked mine of with 89k on the clock, first one i went and saw actually fell in love with it straight away haha! if you wait long enough you'll find the right one im sure!

My S3 has 108k now and is due a full service next month I believe, but the engine doesn't seem to miss a beat. Touch wood.

Guys, at 17 i would imagine insuring an S3 or even a 1.8T would be out of the question totally.

the 1.6 petrol and 1.8 20v engines are absolutely ****e, so the 110 tdi doesn't sound like a bad choice at all.

my mum had a 110 tdi Sport, and i clocked up around 50k miles in it on various road trips when I was younger, and I really liked the car.

the 110 won't set the world on fire, but it feels more pokey than the 1.6 petrol, it's great on fuel, and pretty damn reliable (unlike the 1.6 petrol!)

Parts are cheap and plentiful, and if you get a Sport it looks good both outside and inside just like a turbo.

A cheap set of OE alloys and it's a really smart looking car for a 17 year old I reckon!

Reactions: sssline
yours is crap mike ;)

I had the 1.8 20v it was my dads old one he had it from new and its currently on 155k not had a single problem with it. only thing wrong is the starter motor has started to whir so maybe we just got lucky with our a3, either way the 8l model in my opinion no matter what is a great car

yours is crap mike ;)

I had the 1.8 20v it was my dads old one he had it from new and its currently on 155k not had a single problem with it. only thing wrong is the starter motor has started to whir so maybe we just got lucky with our a3, either way the 8l model in my opinion no matter what is a great car

How very dare you ;)

But of them all mate I'd try to go TDi at that age, save your money!

sorry to say folks but im opting out of the audi all together lol! ive just found that i can get a 318ci from the same year will full leather interior, heated seats and a whole bunch more for a fraction of the price haha

What chassis is the BMW? e36 or e46?
I had a 318is e36, when I was 20. Head gasket went at 115k, and if it's your first car, RWD might not be the best idea.. Just sayin'..

TBH My parents had an E46 318ci a few years ago and it was a great car. Good choice. Although, not as good on fuel as you might think!

hello every1... if u really want a good bmw drive then id say go for a 2.5 or above, thats where u will feel ur actually driving bmw. iv had 2 318s e46 with 1.9 engine... was good but didnt do it for me n abit too thirsty, heavy car n small engine. drove my mates e36 318is m tech also known as baby m3... that was a smooth car. driven 325 e36 and e46 they drove wicked too... but the best bmw iv driven was the e46 330 M-club sport - Hell of a car!!!

but i must say Audis... 1 of the best cars iv owned n driven. mines a 2002 1.8T 163hp... maybe not the biggest engine but sure has power. gonna b sticking with audis for a long time now. lol a tuned up a4 1.8T can actually keep up with the bmw 330.

I had a BMW one series for a while... First the over complicated steering column broke, then it ate a swirl flap... Then the timing chain snapped :ohmy:

My brother had a 320d (170) and had owned it for a few years, when he drove my a4 b7 2.0tdi sline he loved it so much he bought it off me and sold his BMW lol
The RWD isn't really preferable for first car. And also, this is my opinion, BMW just isn't as well built when compared to audi. If you're buying an older car make it an audi. Having said that, you've just announced on an audi forum that you want to buy a beemer...lol

go for a Petrol. As it's your first car, I doubt you'll be doing massive miles so a Diesel wouldn't really be cost effective.

As its a first car you'll be driving evvvvvverywhere, random drives all over the place.. infact I'd say you'll do more driving as a new driver than you will at any other point if you're any sorta normal person! Go diesel ;)

I had a BMW one series for a while... First the over complicated steering column broke, then it ate a swirl flap... Then the timing chain snapped :ohmy:

A real bad experience with bmw 1 series... 1 thing with 3 series is that it's known for the overheating problem... I'm talkin about the e36 and e46. New models... Don't know much about them but so far so good as far as I know.

My brother had a 320d (170) and had owned it for a few years, when he drove my a4 b7 2.0tdi sline he loved it so much he bought it off me and sold his BMW lol
The RWD isn't really preferable for first car. And also, this is my opinion, BMW just isn't as well built when compared to audi. If you're buying an older car make it an audi. Having said that, you've just announced on an audi forum that you want to buy a beemer...lol

'Just happened to stumble across this matey'
Although ur S3 is still your pride and joy, which car did you recently add to your collection? Namely which manufacturer. Lol.

'Just happened to stumble across this matey'
Although ur S3 is still your pride and joy, which car did you recently add to your collection? Namely which manufacturer. Lol.
Do some work! Anyway I don't really drive the car we do not talk about on this forum