Suspension rattle and hum, everything needs replacing....good advice please

warrenb5

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here and its a fantastic forum, my background is VW early golfs so this is my first B5.

Its a standard 1999 facelift 1.8SE (non turbo) :ermm:
Just touched 170k, but the engine is really smooth and bodywise its very straight.

Its a nice tidy car which I do want to keep, but the suspension is in a poor state.
1: lots of rattles and squeaks from the front and back of car over uneven surfaces.
2: worn or broken front coil springs as 'nose down stance', bottoms out over bumps, already ruined undertray which is now gone .
3: suspension very soft.

Okay its a big list, but I need help / honest advice so I can save this car.

Looks like I am going to need to replace springs / shocks, all arms and bushes.
Anything else you think I should be replacing at the same time please advise.

Best parts / kits to use and best affordable suppliers for parts, any other advice as I may try and do this myself at home as I am on a budget.

Use meyle or lemforder for suspension parts !!

As for springs and shockers it depends on what you want the wietecs seem a good kit !!

Reactions: warrenb5
Thanks Bradders,
Yes been reading some of the forum and have seen a few people mention the Meyle HD kit, what suppliers stock this kit and is it everything you need (car set) or are there additional parts I would need?
Any steps in the right direction would be really helpful.

Thanks

I fitted a Meyle HD kit and so far its done 65K and it's still going strong. For shocks & springs I went for bilstein shocks and a set of eibach pro springs (not street) as the pro set was near to the standard Audi sports springs, and has given a nice stance to the car. For the rear I replaced the subframe bushes, I also did the engine & gearbox mounts and the car drives like new.