Double Din RNS E changeover and associated wiring problems/VAGCOM adjustments...

Final 3Green Land

Reaction score
WHY DOESNT THIS SITE ALLOW MY POST TO BE ADDED WITH PUNCTUATION AND SPACES I HAVE ADDED TO ALLOW EASY READING AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT CONCERNED????????Before everyone shouts use the search button, I have and there are so many conflicting reports, some allude to be A4 fitment and turn out to be S3 so not the same at all etc so please bear with me................................................................................................................................................................I have just fitted to my late 1998 A4 Avant B5 AFN TDi, a Double Din Dash and an Audi S4 RNS E and have a few queries..............................................................................................The swap is a Double Din from a facelift 2001 A4 to my car, I have a couple of questions relating to the wiring of the eqpt and the interior temperature sensor, RNS E unit and I hope you can assist....Firstly, the fog light switches for the facelift dash, can you just wire these in to the stock wiring with the relative spade connectors? I have seen it mentioned that to have it 'stock' I need the fog light module, is this correct??... .. All I want is to turn the fog lights both front and rear Independently of each other when I feel the conditions warrant using them.................................................................................................................................................................................. Are the Facelift switches compatible with the pre facelift wiring and does anyone have a colour coding/wiring diagram/picture for the switches??.....................................................................................................................................................On the interior temperature sensor there is a small motorised sensor installed in the centre of the dash on the pre facelift.................................... Now, on the facelift there appears a sensor in the centre of the dash in the same area, but where as the pre facelift has two pairs of wires going to it, it appears that the facelift has only one pair going directly to the motorised sensor... I have left my pre facelift sensor wired in albeit under the dash out of the way, but I wanted to know if the facelift needed to be wired in in order for the facelift climate control to function correctly or would the signals be received from the old sensor unit be suffice? ........................................................... Does any one have an alternative wiring solution to wire the facelift unit to the two pair of temperature sensor wires the pre facelift unit has?.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I have fitted a 2007 RNS E unit to the car. It works fine but have a few irritating problems.............................................................The unit only operates on operation of the button on the unit, not when the ignition key is switched on, or when removed, it switches off the unit. I purchased a plug n play loom from ISO to Quadlock for the unit so the wiring should be correct.....................................................................................................Is the on/off operation just a VAGCOM adjustment? An american forum stated that they needed a can bus box but I thought the UK AFN was non Can-bus.......................................................................................The CD auto changer does not work but I think this might be down to the wiring not being included in the quadlock connector, not a major problem as I can trace the correct Pinouts for the connector at a later date.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................The bottom line of lights for the function buttons do not light up with the side light switch, again is this a VAGCOM adjustment or is there an extra module of some sort required?...The screen dimmer function doesn't seem to work, is this VAGCOM adjustment again?..................................................................................................................................................And there seems no Clock adjustment on the unit...,,,I have fitted the Fiscon Basic Pro kit and I understand that to get their kit to work, I need VAGCOM to change the settings in the RNS E........................................................................................ Has anyone done this and know what the new values should be? There weren't any settings included in the box.................................................................................Has Anyone done the VAGCOM changes on this unit??...I am near Ashford Kent at the moment and can travel if anyone has a vagcom unit they can assist me with making the necessary adjustments..........................................................................................................................................................................................................Thanks in advance, Look forward to enjoying the new unit more than I am able now....

Last edited:
I have made seven separate attempts to list this subject and everytime the site bunches up the text and removes all paragraphs newlines etc so forgive the jumbled mess....

Install chrome and it will all work fine, this site sucks with I.E wish admin would do something about it!

Cannot help with the wiring conversion never done that.

The RNS-E needs infotainment can-bus to work correctly, as it need signals to tell it to switch on when the ignition is on, the BT module also needs this information otherwise it may not switch on and the RNS-E will keep switching off every 10 minutes. it also needs information when the lights are switch on, so the button are illuminated and the map screen changes colour and the screen dims at night. You need to buy one of these can-bus emulators as your car has no can-bus. RNS-E CAN-Bus Interface/Simulator for vehicles without CAN-Bus-34518 This will sort out the problems above.

As you have taken a unit from a B7 A4 the coding will not be correct, it must be coded for an A6 otherwise it will not pick up the speed pulse wire so the navigation may not work without this coding. You also need to code the module for the BT interface so the RNS-E coding should look something like 0501711 have a look as the VCDS section VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum you should be able to find someone close to you has VCDS.

One last thing to note make sure the car has a k-line wire running to the ISO plug, if not you will need to run this wire form the diagnostic port otherwise you will not be able to get vcds to communicate with the RNS-E.

I am based in N. London and i have VCDS so i can make the necessary adjustments for you. RNS E will need a Can Bus emulator if fitted on pre 2000 cars hence your stereo not turning on with ignition. Also there is loads of codding to be made to suit the options you want, because they never been fitted to a4 b5 you will have to make loads of adjustments to make it work properly. The hazard switch can be made to work with existing pre-facelift wiring, you just need to keep your existing switch and just swap the front bezel from the new switch. There are loads of threads on pre to facelift double DIN conversion, a google search might be advisable as it will give hours of reading ! If you need any parts from b5 i have loads, broke 2 facelifted b5 for parts recently so i have loads of spares left...

Cannot help with the wiring conversion never done that. The RNS-E needs infotainment can-bus to work correctly, as it need signals to tell it to switch on when the ignition is on, the BT module also needs this information otherwise it may not switch on and the RNS-E will keep switching off every 10 minutes. it also needs information when the lights are switch on, so the button are illuminated and the map screen changes colour and the screen dims at night. You need to buy one of these can-bus emulators as your car has no can-bus. RNS-E CAN-Bus Interface/Simulator for vehicles without CAN-Bus-34518 This will sort out the problems above.As you have taken a unit from a B7 A4 the coding will not be correct, it must be coded for an A6 otherwise it will not pick up the speed pulse wire so the navigation may not work without this coding. You also need to code the module for the BT interface so the RNS-E coding should look something like 0501711 have a look as the VCDS section VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum you should be able to find someone close to you has VCDS. One last thing to note make sure the car has a k-line wire running to the ISO plug, if not you will need to run this wire form the diagnostic port otherwise you will not be able to get vcds to communicate with the RNS-E.
^^^Beat me to it...

To remove all issues with RNS-E ob B5 you need this item!!

CanBus Can Bus Adapter Cable Harness UPGRADE to Audi Navi RNS-E Audi A4 S4 B5 8D | eBay

I bought it for me and now sorted!
Before putting this every 30 min the navigation switched off itself !
Second - the buttons on the Navi doesn't have backlight !!!
and the last think is that when you take the key out the unit doesn't swith off .... With this CAnbus ... all this are SORTed and now is Retrofitted!
Hope that this will help you ! No Vag-com needed ...
Cheers Dimi

Sorry but vag-com is need depending on what options are fitted or going to be fitted, for example he is fitting the fiscon BT unit, so the RNS-E need to have the BT coded otherwise you will only get a messages saying Bluetooth not installed.

Sorry but vag-com is need depending on what options are fitted or going to be fitted, for example he is fitting the fiscon BT unit, so the RNS-E needs to have the BT coded otherwise you will only get a messages saying Bluetooth not installed. I have also used on the units listed above and they are not very reliable, I ended up removing that and fitting the kaufatec unit.