Where to buy a used S3 please?

kazino21

Reaction score
Hi guys am looking to buy a nice used S3. (in the UK). My budget is around £13K (roughly). I have been looking around on autotrader where the prices seem to be unexplicably high for even high milage models. I went to car giant today and they had an 02 and an 03 both with roughly 65k miles on them which seems a bit high but must all be motorway mileage as the service intervals were all at 20,000 miles. I have previously owned an Audi A3 1.6se from new 2001 51 plate and unfortunately my brother was in an accident and the car was written off (he's okay though thank God). I had only done 21k miles on it, I use the car everyday but I live in london and my trips usually involve traffic so although the drive may take 40 mins the distance is not far. I have seen some low mileage models go on ebay but do you recommend buying from there?

Thanks in advance any help would be most apreciated.

Just wondering what kind of milage and age car i should be looking it. THe cars at car giant had service intervals of 20k so would that mean that the cars haven't been driven hard or is it just that the huge motorway miles that they have done (and wouldn't know if the car has been driven hard due to this)?

Thanks in advance.

Well my car is an 02 with 108K miles on it. It is on AVS (Audi Variable Service), whereby the car works out when it needs a service. Roughly every 15K it needs a service, if you drive it harder then less if you pansy around then it'll be more.

I guess it depends on colour and spec you are after. Then depends the face lift (99-01)or non facelift S3 (01+)you'd be after.

With 13K I'm sure there will be one you'll find. Good luck

Cheers guys, what do you all think of cargiant there are a couple of s3's on there with almost 70k miles. I went there and had a look, one of them in the history had a blown somehting in the engine can't remember what it was and was fixed for 900£ and it seemed the worse car where'as the other was in excellent condition.

Does the cambelt or anything need changing at a particular milage? or are there any big costs at a particular milage when certain parts need replacing.
THanks.

If I was buying a car at 70-80k I'd want to know the cambelt had been done as thats a big job and expense. I think a blown anything wouldn't be a problem as long as it was repaired properly!

The Audi recommendation on cambelts is a bit tricky though, seems to be 115,000Km / Miles etc depending on where you look.

Well just test drove new a3 2.0fsi which is actually a very good car, nice ride but driving position not so good engine is strong and very refined. Then immediately after got into a TT 180 convertible non quattro(it was all they had, I would be going for the coupe either 180 or 225 both quattro) immediately you could hear the car was far sportier, it was low slung the driving position sportier and the engine had a lovely sound and was more responsive. Take the TT over the new A3 any day of the week.

Yes the new A3 is coming out but the looks are nowhere as striking as the old one and it looks more like a hatchback, I'm sure the old TT will still keep it's charm due to this.

In 225 form the car must be a rocket and it's such a lovely driving position nice and low down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

How does it compare to the S3.

Sorry I meant the new tt is coming out and the looks are nowhere near as striking as the old one.

I got a mint one for sale if your interested, i can e-mail you pic,s, spent a bit of money on it to....?

Or call me on 07950321491. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyways test drove the S3 today. Now that's a fast car, you put your foot down and that quattro keeps your **** on the road without any hint of loss of traction the thing has insane amounts of it. The suspension was set up excellently aswell just the right amount of rigidity and road feel. Was in Croydon and there are some nice twisty roads around there which the Audi guy took me down, had so much confidence in the car where'as with the BMW didn't really know if the back end would fly out if I planted my foot round a corner (probably due to my lack of driving a rear wheel drive car wasn't really too sure what it was going to do if I were to push it too hard, since a friend of mine with a boxter pushed his a little too much without trying really and he spun and almost had a massive accident). Overall was very impresed the engine makes a great sound and the car really feels rearing to go the engine is very responsive and the gearbox was sharp (not as silky smooth as the rx-8 though). The other thing is the looks, they had the car parked right next to a new A3 and the car looked a bit dated, not nearly as bad as a regular old A3 though which makes the new car look an absolute masterpiece. The S3 has it's flared wheel arches and lower stance with side skirts and different rear bumper and a slightly larger spoiler which give it a much more aggressive stance on the road and seems to keep it looking less dated too.