Timing Belt tips

allymorrison70

Reaction score
So i'm fitting a timing belt kit and water pump tomorrow, its a 55 plate a3 TDI sportback. Anyone got any tips to help me on my way?

Cheers

Did you get a new tensioner as well?

One tip is to get a marker pen to mark up where the pulleys are in relation to each other so that when the new belt goes back on you can see if everything lines up and nothing has moved.

Did you get a new tensioner as well?

One tip is to get a marker pen to mark up where the pulleys are in relation to each other so that when the new belt goes back on you can see if everything lines up and nothing has moved.

Yeah, got the belt, two idlers, tensioner and water pump.

I've got the cam locking tools so i think i've got it covered. Just wondering if anyone had managed to make the job easier.

Cheers

The offside engine mount bracket can be a pain in the **** to get out, so takes a bit of fiddling.

The correct way of doing it is to lock the cams in place with a pin in each pulley and to then slack the 3 bolts on each pulley. This allows the cam sprocket to turn while keeping the cam in the correct position. This is to allow an even spread of tension on the belt when tensioning. The 3 bolts are then re-tightened.

Otherwise you can get away with the old tippex method, just makes sure the belt is taught between the pulleys on the non-tension side.

Everything else is pretty straight forward and remember, if there is new bolts/studs in the kit USE THEM!