Cambus festoon numberplate lights error !!

Keane

Reaction score
Hello people :) After fitting halfrauds numberplate bulbs in the 2009 tdi I sold my friend it brought up the annoying bulb symbol that stays on all the time ! I've since got an s3 and brought cambus festoon bulbs of eBay for it and have no problems. However after buying him some and fitting them, it's still bringing up the error ! Any ideas why ??

There is a change around that year that makes it more sensitive to LED bulbs and most can bus error free bulbs will error.

I think Trups is working on a new style of bulb to stop this from happening.

I wired up a standard bulb inside​ the boot lid to trick the system and just use normal led bulbs, not canbus ;)

Reactions: LEE69
I wired up a standard bulb inside​ the boot lid to trick the system and just use normal led bulbs, not canbus ;)
lol, don't think you need to do any of that stuff for a 8P2, simple canbus ones would work too.

lol, don't think you need to do any of that stuff for a 8P2, simple canbus ones would work too.

No they didn't, tried 3 or 4 different makes all with the error, then decided to add the bulb inside. 501's for the front side lights are just the same, again 3 or 4 different makes then I gave up! I could do the same to them really but where to hide the filament bulb without it being seen!

Fitted my rear led number plate leds without any hassles on my 8P2

I used the 501 bulb to trick it on my old leon but didn't like the idea of it.
I've still got the bulb holders if all else fails though.

I've just got a twitchy one!

Even turning off the bulb monitoring with VCDS did nothing

I fitted LED number plate lights to my (8P3) 2009 A3 without any extra bulb trickery & have had no issues with DIS errors since.

I tried a few different ones from e-bay before realising they are polarity sensitive - meaning they have to be the same way around or they'll fail the cold test! I also found the bulb holder contacts need careful alignment or the same error will display even with normal bulbs, and once the DIS Error lights up, it can be a royal PITA to get rid of and you have to switch off\lock\wait\unlock to reset it.

It's these 3 points that make fitting LED's so tricky, but it can be done with trial, error & patience.