Alternator woes

Rallyman

LPG Abuser & have VAGCOM
Reaction score
Can't believe it the alternators failed after a mere 192,000 miles ......
I have to get this sorted this weekend as I need it for work on Monday am :-(
I'm all tooled up but do I need anything extra for doing the belt tension and what do I have to remove to get the alternator off? I have the AJL engine set up on a QTS.
How much is a scrappy going to want for an alternator these days? Eurocarparts want £155 for a new one!
Are there any other Audi alts that will do the job?
Thanks for your help :)

Just had a look at the replacement blurb ......

Can I replace the alternator without having to put the front panel/bumper in the forward "service mode"

You can do it without it going into service mode, but it is tight! I'm sure the ajl should be the 120amp alternator.

Also don't ditch your old one, it may be repairable, and good to keep as a spare.

I have one from my breaker, but I'm a fair distance away, pm me if you need one

Hi guys thanks for the info - I gave up trying to remove it without removing the front panel after 30mins of swearing!
Alll done now :)
I ended up getting one from the scrappy for £30 - its better but needs a blip on the throttle to turn off the charge light so will have to remove it again soon .... and the voltage sinks on tick over
still at least I know how to put the front end into to service mode :) The rads been weeping for ages and the pipe to turbo needs changing so it looks like everything's going to get done at once
I have a 90 amp valeo alternator and had a look inside and the brushes were really short - cant understand why? ??!!?!! Brush rebuild kits start at £10 ....... lets rebuild it !

Reactions: Sulli79
Just thought I'd say that putting the front end into service mode wasn't that difficult! I think it is just one of those jobs that is only difficult the first time you do it, if anyone needs any help in the Chelmsford area then let me know

Reactions: ScottD3