Sunken trench + S3 = Broken suspension ???

bioharry

Reaction score
Around two months ago I was heading home from work on a dark Tuesday night. As i turned a sharpish bend at 30mph I crashed into a ruddy great sunken trench.

This trench made a huge bang as both the front two and rear two tyres went through it.

The steering wheel was in a 9 O'Clock position when the impact happened.

Instantly I could feel the steering was not right and has been getting worse ever since.

The problem is a lack of effect in the steering between 10 and 2 O’clock positions. Basically nothing happens until after these positions have been passed. The steering feels very inconsistent as the position where the steering starts changes day to day and is affected if I am driving faster. The steering seems to tighten up momentarily to what it was like before then it is back to normal. Once you have reached the point where the steering is turning the car, it feels as if the wheels are losing grip on the tarmac. Just like the front wheels are skidding. The steering has lost all feel and the car does not feel planted to the road like it was before. This was how I would always describe the S3 compared to other cars, now It feels like it wants to do head towards the nearest ditch.

This has left me with no confidence in the car and I have almost crashed a few times due to the amount of steering input required compared to before the incident.

So does anyone have any ideas what’s wrong?

Any ideas on parts that need replacing?

Any ideas on cost?

Also I have been getting creeks coming from the front and rear suspension over bumps and speed humps. Is this related or another thing broken?

[ QUOTE ]
Around two months ago I was heading home from work on a dark Tuesday night. As i turned a sharpish bend at 30mph I crashed into a ruddy great sunken trench.

This trench made a huge bang as both the front two and rear two tyres went through it.

The steering wheel was in a 9 O'Clock position when the impact happened.

Instantly I could feel the steering was not right and has been getting worse ever since.

The problem is a lack of effect in the steering between 10 and 2 O’clock positions. Basically nothing happens until after these positions have been passed. The steering feels very inconsistent as the position where the steering starts changes day to day and is affected if I am driving faster. The steering seems to tighten up momentarily to what it was like before then it is back to normal. Once you have reached the point where the steering is turning the car, it feels as if the wheels are losing grip on the tarmac. Just like the front wheels are skidding. The steering has lost all feel and the car does not feel planted to the road like it was before. This was how I would always describe the S3 compared to other cars, now It feels like it wants to do head towards the nearest ditch.

This has left me with no confidence in the car and I have almost crashed a few times due to the amount of steering input required compared to before the incident.

So does anyone have any ideas what’s wrong?

Any ideas on parts that need replacing?

Any ideas on cost?

Also I have been getting creeks coming from the front and rear suspension over bumps and speed humps. Is this related or another thing broken?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the rack to me! Mine is getting a little slack, and ive eliminated all other possibilities... Mine have similar characteristice, but to a lesser extent. You could try adjusting the rack tightness...Its pushing the rack against the pinion to reduce play...Might be worth having a go!

had similar probs with a mk2, ball joints and track rod arms are a first to check, cheaper than a rack.

Yep for sure... If the tie rods are fine, and the arms are fine...Then the problem is the rack.

Get it looked at, you shouldn't have waited so long before thinking about getting it checked.

Hi
It could be that you have knocked the tracking out, or buckled a wheel, or damaged a tyre, I once had a van and the steering was all over the place, when I rotated the wheels front to back it drove fine, turned out to be a misshaped tyre, I would give it a try for nothing.

You should get that sorted pronto, as it is only a matter of time before it gives up completely and that could be messy.

Why didn't you get it checked out if you hit such a big ditch??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It needs looking at mate, there could be any number of things bent, broken, loose... not very safe in any instance!

Booked in to Audi at 11am tomorrow for a quote. So i will finally find out what the problem is.

The reason i have not taken any action is the fact that i have placed a claim form with the council for the damages and so wanted there admitance before i fixed the car so i am living with the problem.

I have found out today they have lost my claim form and have sent me in the direction of EDF who dug the trench.

Anyone able to put likely causes down for the problems i have been having so i can ask audi to look for them:

Steering - lack of

Grip - Lack of

Creeking over speed bumps in the dry but not in wet weather

Knocking over uneven surfaces - front and rear

Virbration through car and wheel at high speeds (i think buckled wheel)