Got a obstruction ticket

docurley

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
hometown.aol.co.uk
Well last Thursday round near Tower Bridge I got a Ticket for causing a unnecessary obstruction (Number 52 of the trafic act).

For the life of me I can't see what I was obstructing.

What do you lot think, their was at least 8 feet to the next curb and its a 1 way street. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Parking6.jpg

Parking5.jpg

Parking4.jpg

Parking3.jpg

Parking2.jpg

Parking1.jpg

Ypu are not supposed to park within a certain distance of a junction... THe end of the double yellows is probably that distance...

RIch

The yellow lines are NOT VALID! at the edn of yellow lines they must be a 'T' bar finishing. If this is not on OR both yellow lines have a 'COMPLETE' break through them then they also become invalid and parking becomes LEGAL!

However, you WILL still get a ticktet as it is down to you to take photographic evidence and submit to the relevent ticketing office and dispute.

I used to be a member of a police service, and I myself have even had to do this proceedure. and WON!

Not sure exactly why an OBSTRUCTION ticket was issued, possibly (as already mentioned) parking to near the junction.

Quote from Highway Code:

217: DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop
near a school entrance
anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
at or near a bus stop or taxi rank
on the approach to a level crossing

opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users
in front of an entrance to a property
on a bend.

Although you have parked on a space that has no lines, the councils intention may of been to complete the line painting, until then, I strongly believe you have a good case for dispute. As already you have taken good photographic evidence! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif
Not enough people do this.

I reckon it's those wide arches causing the obstruction! You'd have been ok if you'd left the car standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

i recon its because there isn't enough room to fit a fire engine inbetween your car and the post.

I recon it's because the traffic warden was 1 ticket away from a bonus, and yours looked like a easy one!

Looks like you have a good case there D... there is no denying that there is a perfectly good, available and legal parking space there. If it was the Police that issued the ticket then I can't imagine why the hell they gave you the ticket, surely they know it will not stand up in court.

I'm sure you'll be ok come the day but what a pain in the **** to have to go there in the first place, all for what seems like an opportunistic ticket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

So... if and when you win be sure to claim for your travel and time expenses for getting there that day, taking time off work etc. If you lost they would only be too happy to fine you an additional amount for wasting Police time. Fairs' fair eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Let us know how it goes dude...

T

It may of been issued by a rookie,

i know when I was in the 'service' I had a qouta each month to acheive otherwise I got a rollickin.....however, obstruction tickets wasnt on my list...but each force is different!

Sorry guys but to me that is so obviously Not a genuine parking space. In the first picture you can see the space behind is marked out with white paint, so i presume all the others are aswell. Secondly there is a gap in the lines on the opposite side of the road, so what happens if someone decides they can park there aswell - between the pair of you, you have completely blocked the road off.
Just my 2p.
But i still hope you get away with it, bound to be a loophole there somewhere with those poor markings

I Agree about the force....hence why I and 8 others headed out....now in the Fire service....Retained F/F /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

They probably realize that many people don't argue the fact and don't turn up to court, so they play that one, for the number that don't argue and pay, is higher than those that do....

Thats really unlucky buddy, it obviously could go either way, as it definetely isnt 10m away from the junction lol. But they have to be right ***** to do that.....good luck!

Found out if traffic lines don’t have a line across them at right angles then the whole traffic line is not valid and you can park on it.

[ QUOTE ]
Found out if traffic lines don’t have a line across them at right angles then the whole traffic line is not valid and you can park on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA, now that is a handy piece of information to know!javascript:void(0)

Looks like my animation never made it on previous one!!

i thunk they will get you on the too close to the junction rule but i would be very tempted to park on the yellows and see what happens (after taking photo of the lines with the days paper in case they paint them in later)

Just what I was thinking.

Picked up a congestion charge letter yesterday too didn’t realise a dead-end street I did a 3 point turn in was part of the congestion charge area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

My year has not started very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

ohg man that does suck. Ages my dad got a congestion charge, he paid by text, but had driven there in a different car, didn't realize.
Tried to argue fact, weren't having any of it!

I used to work just off that main road, they're /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif round there :-(

On a complete tangent, your car looks fantastic, where do I get myself arches like that?

Well the saga continues.....

I did not post up but last week my car got towed for the same street but the other end. Anyway not quite the same but the line where not finished as they should so half my car was on the line and the other side was not, but I was way away from the junction this time. So I finish work go to my car and its gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I make the phone calls knowing it was towed and find out where its been taken. I go their and find I have to pay £200 to get the car back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif was my response then I protest about it only to be told I have to write to the council and take it up with them.

So the car was towed Tuesday I right my letter of protest including all the info I have found on the net and waited for their response.

Well would you believe it I get a letter today saying they cannot confirm the rulz and so they have refunded me my £200. Now that’s fast............/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Fantastic! Great news, and to get the money back that quickly, let alone the reply letter!
Just the parking ticket to deal with now!