Das Ponto's 3.2 A3 Journey Home!

Gotta say Das, I have no idea how you earn your living, but you should try 'travel writing' - Amazing post! Well done, and enjoy. P

Gotta say Das, I have no idea how you earn your living, but you should try 'travel writing' - Amazing post! Well done, and enjoy. P

Well thanks! I do what I can. Gotta try to make it as fun to read as it was to do!

Defo looks like you guys have a blast over there.... some crazy wheels colours in there too (Sorry colors haha)

Oh no you had colour right. I'm from Canada remember. Not Murica Haha.

Sent from my Igloo

haha well need NA to allow the RS3 to be imported as well. As it sits I can only import one that is 15 years old :(

But if it can be done I will do it. I would kill for the 2.5 - supposed I could get a TTRS those we do have here haha.

Wow thats crazy.. 15yrs old.. I wonder why that is? Just need to try sneak 1 through Alaska :)

Wow thats crazy.. 15yrs old.. I wonder why that is? Just need to try sneak 1 through Alaska :)

Ah it's import laws and regulations to do with EU cars vs NA cars and safety standards as well. The states is worse you can only import cars that are 25 years old.

This only applies to vehicles that are not sold in North America.

Sent from my Igloo

Ah it's import laws and regulations to do with EU cars vs NA cars and safety standards as well. The states is worse you can only import cars that are 25 years old.

This only applies to vehicles that are not sold in North America.

Sent from my Igloo

Very restricting eh? ... I always thought that safety standards in the eu were a lot more strict than in the likes of the U.S...

I've seen some of the cars thats been on that pimp my ride show...and here theres better cars been sold for scrap lol.. I dont know what its like in Canada right enough.... Solution.. come to eu... buy a rs3.. strip it, send parts over to canada in container, re-build it and register it as a kit-car... might only take you bout 10yrs to do something like that... but still 5yrs quicker.. haha im being sarcastic of course

Haha that is awesome. And well there is talks about free trade agreement with EU and Canada which could solve all my problems!! So we shall see how that goes.

I know what you mean though. EU cars are way safer but the tests and regulations are different and it's basically retarded.

Sent from my Igloo

Well with the impending snow storm I figured I should really give the old girl a good polish and seal!

Ooh that reflection.

20131102_165234_zps37e60b51.jpg

20131102_165316_zps858bf076.jpg

Car hiding like noooo I don't wanna go out in the cold.

20131103_073301_zpse3447b0d.jpg

Not so bad... and man I love quattro.

20131103_095555_zpsdfc28754.jpg

Even your parking spaces are larger, bar stewards :p

What an impressive read, kudos for the trip you did.

How can you use that gear knob, with automatic? Is the button bypassed that you press in?

What an impressive read, kudos for the trip you did.

How can you use that gear knob, with automatic? Is the button bypassed that you press in?

BKS Tuning sell's an RS knob for the DSG cars.

Take it all the RS3's are manual's over there?

I would have killed for this to be Manual, but the don't offer the 3.2 with it. Only the 2.0t Fwd did.

Oh ta for the link like the DSG one with the little switch, another mod to add to the wish list.

What an epic thread mate, now that's how u buy a car and enjoy your journey home, a moaned because garage a bought my audi from wouldn't deliver it to audi garage where a live and had to drive 50minutes to Glasgow from Ayr

Oh ta for the link like the DSG one with the little switch, another mod to add to the wish list.

They sell an S-tronic badged knob, S3 knob and the RS knob... prices range from 80-200 Euro's

Interior - BKS-Tuning

That link should take you to the page with the knobs on it, along with a bunch of other good things that are way to tempting to buy.

The install is pretty straight forward... You have two options.

1. Head the plastic shift rod and rotate 90 degrees. Few people have had success with this method, you just have to go super slow and take your time.

2. Cut off shift rod, tap and die both ends, insert 2mm grub screw and reattach. This method is more proven and safer.

I tried the heat and twist. And failed, breaking the shift rod. (Now this is dangerous, to replace the shift rod from the dealer is ridiculous and expensive as you cannot replace just the little plastic rod, but you replace the entire shifting mechanism)

20130117_075117.jpg

However thanks to a MisterJJ on Fourtitude I had myself a replacement rod! (He made a batch of new rod tops to tap and die into the old shift rod)

20130205_192832_zps867c5846.jpg

Shown here is my broken shift rod with the 2mm grub screw in place.
20130207_195234_zpsde63686c.jpg

And here is the other end of the shift rod (testing depth of the grub screw on it before install, do this because its a pain to unscrew it all if you don't make the holes deep enough)

20130207_193845_zpsd8646e7d.jpg

Once both have been tap and died... then simply screw it on and have the holes facing forward instead of sideways.

Ok that was a lengthy post, I should note doing the cut and screw method took me about 15 minutes and it has been perfect ever since.

Oh yeah and question!!

Would anyone be interested in trading Euro LED facelift outer tailights for NA LED facelift outer tailights??