Overall reliability and quality of Audi A4's?

BlueSkyzz

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a used 2001-2002 Audi A4 1.8/3.0.

I really don't know much about Audi's and I have some questions.

Whats the quality/reliability like compared to Lexus, Infiniti, or Honda?

Are there any specific problems to the 1.8 or 3.0 models? Pricewise, there's only about a $2000-$3000 difference between the 2 models. Which would you guys prefer?

I want a 5spd if that makes a difference.

But to be honest the Jap stuff is more reliable than the A4 (certainly the B5 S4s)

Perceived quality as an ownership proposition is higher on the Audis however.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
But it has no class, Alan Partridge drives a Lexus! Isn't that enough!
You know exactly what a person is like when they choose a Lexus, "the thinking man's Merc"
or is that "the ***king man's Merc"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but yer man here asked about reliability which is no way related to class, perceived quality or image. The reliability of the A4s falls short of the standards offered by Lexus etc.

The B6 chassis is nice, understeery (to nobodys great surprise) but well damped, comfortable and composed. An improvement over the B5, but certainly not at 3 series levels in terms of feedback, response and driveability.

Oh and re engines, I cannot comment on the 3.0, but the 18.T is a great reliable and tunable unit which although marred by (warranteed) coil pack failures, seems to be fairly indestuctible in most applications. Interesting it isn't though, perhaps one of the most dull sounding performance units in mass produced cars for a long while.

Well I think that the New Accords are pretty well made with all the styling and features...260HP for its V6 with awesome gas mileage.

But it's in a different class than the A4, you'd have to compare BMW 3 series or maybe the the lexus IS300...

German cars get on tempermental reliability streaks. When you don't take car of them they like to talk back and give you a hard time, but they are built tough as a bull, and you can't kill the engine. A lot of other things can go wrong especially electronically, but the engine will not die.