8V S3 Tuning Thread

Yeah, total rip off imo.

Just wait a bit then the prices will come down after they cover the R&D costs lol.

Yeah that's a crazy price I have to say. Considering the fact tuners like APR and Viezu charge half that price to tune an R8!!!

Funny though that the ABT tune is pretty damn high too. 1900 euro. Even that is crazy. I paid $650 AUS for my MK6 GTI tune from Bluefin. I can't see how a standard flash tune from another tuner would be worth four times the price.

We will be testing a tuning box next week on ours which is going to retail at around the £500 mark (not set in stone yet) and gives a gain of around 50bhp. We are going to dyno the car before and after. Just need to put some miles on it first.

Also being fitted and tested are the H&R springs and a track widening kit (full set of hubcentric wheel spacers, bolts and lockers) so watch this space.

Car is booked at Forge Motorsport for mid February for intercooler, intake and recirc valve development and Cobra Sport for a full turbo back exhaust system. I started a progress thread a few weeks ago and will update it when the car arrives. I'll use this to keep people posted on what we have available for the S3.

Reactions: Aran383, J6YAK, the_lecht_rocks and 2 others
We will be testing a tuning box next week on ours which is going to retail at around the £500 mark (not set in stone yet) and gives a gain of around 50bhp. We are going to dyno the car before and after. Just need to put some miles on it first.

Also being fitted and tested are the H&R springs and a track widening kit (full set of hubcentric wheel spacers, bolts and lockers) so watch this space.

Car is booked at Forge Motorsport for mid February for intercooler, intake and recirc valve development and Cobra Sport for a full turbo back exhaust system. I started a progress thread a few weeks ago and will update it when the car arrives. I'll use this to keep people posted on what we have available for the S3.

Looking forward to seeing how your tuning box gets on.

Try tapping up Andy Jackson at ITG for a full cold air intake as they do it the best. They're are pretty receptive and keen to develop new stuff if they think they can get some decent ROI on it. Forge are very similar and a great bunch of guys.

Hmm calling a set of wheel spacers a "track widening kit" is like calling s*** a "waste transportation substrate". It's technically true but you're not kidding anyone...

Looking forward to seeing how your tuning box gets on.

Try tapping up Andy Jackson at ITG for a full cold air intake as they do it the best. They're are pretty receptive and keen to develop new stuff if they think they can get some decent ROI on it. Forge are very similar and a great bunch of guys.

Hmm calling a set of wheel spacers a "track widening kit" is like calling s*** a "waste transportation substrate". It's technically true but you're not kidding anyone...

It is going to Forge, thought about ITG but they are big on the VWR stuff which doesn't interest us. Forge are doing an induction kit for it and I'm confident it'll be a good one so no need to send it anywhere else for me. I had an ITG on my 8P though before they pulled the plug on a lot of dealers in favour of selling them to APR/Awesome and that as indeed a great kit so no doubt they'll have something good for the 8V in no time.

Haha I know what you mean and I'm not trying to kid anyone. Its more common in the Ford scene to call them that as they come as a complete kit for front and rear. For example with the 8P, the amount of times we get people call us confused about spacers is unreal. What size for the front? What is best for the rear? Do I need extended bolts? etc etc. If we put it all in one kit with say 10mm for the front, 12mm for the rear (need to test different sizes) and include the necessary bolts and lockers then yes it is a 'kit' :)

Reactions: pat15312
It is going to Forge, thought about ITG but they are big on the VWR stuff which doesn't interest us. Forge are doing an induction kit for it and I'm confident it'll be a good one so no need to send it anywhere else for me. I had an ITG on my 8P though before they pulled the plug on a lot of dealers in favour of selling them to APR/Awesome and that as indeed a great kit so no doubt they'll have something good for the 8V in no time.

Haha I know what you mean and I'm not trying to kid anyone. Its more common in the Ford scene to call them that as they come as a complete kit for front and rear. For example with the 8P, the amount of times we get people call us confused about spacers is unreal. What size for the front? What is best for the rear? Do I need extended bolts? etc etc. If we put it all in one kit with say 10mm for the front, 12mm for the rear (need to test different sizes) and include the necessary bolts and lockers then yes it is a 'kit' :)

Let us know how we can get all this stuff in Oz when it's ready! :yes:

Crazy thought just crossed my mind as I was researching. Anyone think the Akrapovic system for the TTS would fit the new S3?

They look very similar, but could be different underneath!

Akrapovič

With all respect, this is nothing new to the market and really just a blatant plug of your business...

Hi pat15312, thanks for your kind words. We are just excited that we have finished this car, it is a big achievement.

BTW it's not been done before, I don't know of another 1.8T big turbo conversion that actually runs properly as a daily driver, has launch control and anti lag on the stock ME7 ECU, and runs at over 500BHP reliably. Everybody seems to have reliability problems with them and we have worked very hard to make sure that didn't happen with our new software.

I know it's not directly relevant to this thread but it is the same engine as the early S3 and many of the readers of this forum / thread are petrol heads and interested in any developments like this.

Our new 8V Engine ECU software development continues too and we will have a solution in the not too distant future. I'll let you guys know as soon as it's available and we have some dyno print outs etc.

Reactions: RobH_S3 and J6YAK
Cars booked in 17th February for development at scorpion for a nice lightweight titanium exhaust :laugh:

Reactions: J6YAK, geefunk1978 and Johnnyb
I'm based in West Yorkshire so not far for me either. It's free I believe, my mates having his new golf r done there aswell and it's free for him so based on that should be same for me.

Tbh miltek have been making some crap sounding systems of late. Besides they don't do titanium and that's what I was mainly looking for.

Can't wait to get things moving with the car tbh.
Like what APR are doing aswell with the iPhone app to interface with their software map, looks a nice feature.

I know Milltek through my mate who owns Shark Performance so got it booked in ages ago. They're currently getting +20bhp for a turbo back system on a new golf gti so I'm expecting good things!
Plus they'll leave whatever I want on the car, going for black exhaust tips which will look amazing!

Yeah same here black ceramic coating on the tips. When does yours go in?

Going in in a couple of weeks, was meant to be going Monday but it's got to go back to Audi on the 29th for a couple of things and wanted to send it before I had the exhaust done.
What else you planning with yours? How long have you had it?

Well for the minute just an exhaust and map and go from there really. Dunno if I should lower it or not an add spacers, it does sit pretty well tbh. Picked mine up end of November and done around 3k miles now.

Picked mine up end of Nov too, got it from Grimsby Audi. Mine's only done 800miles still! Exhaust and gonna get the tuning box back on soon, sure Shark want to use mine to test it a bit more for more power gains. Don't think I'm gonna bother messing with the suspension, fancy getting some new wheels for it though, I was thinking some TSW Nurburgring in matt black but I've been told they're crap wheels.

I'm keen to hear feedback from people when they get their exhausts on. I'm looking at a TBE to be my first mod. Probably one of the safest mods you can do :)

That said, I'm too old for drone and high pitched sounds. I want to make sure whatever I get is still driveable when not WOT, yet deep when giving it.

Picked mine up end of Nov too, got it from Grimsby Audi. Mine's only done 800miles still! Exhaust and gonna get the tuning box back on soon, sure Shark want to use mine to test it a bit more for more power gains. Don't think I'm gonna bother messing with the suspension, fancy getting some new wheels for it though, I was thinking some TSW Nurburgring in matt black but I've been told they're crap wheels.

Neuspeed alloys are pretty much identical to those tsw wheels and are strong and lightweight so there's a bonus. Get them from awesome gti.

Regards to the exhaust I'm hoping they can use a valve to work with the ami to keep it quite when you need it to be, jekle and Hyde type thing.

Neuspeed alloys are pretty much identical to those tsw wheels and are strong and lightweight so there's a bonus. Get them from awesome gti.

Regards to the exhaust I'm hoping they can use a valve to work with the ami to keep it quite when you need it to be, jekle and Hyde type thing.

I'll have a look at those alloys then. Really disappointed with the 10 spoke titanium ones, they look ok but wish I'd saved my cash to put towards some BBS or OZ.
I'm hoping the same too, I'm having a full turbo back with sports cat but I'm undecided whether to have it resonated or non resonated. Depends if there's a valve in the exhaust. There isn't one in the new golf gti so I'm not holding out much hope. I don't want it loud all the time, I'm getting too old for that! Just want it to sound good when I'm on it.

I'll have a look at those alloys then. Really disappointed with the 10 spoke titanium ones, they look ok but wish I'd saved my cash to put towards some BBS or OZ.

I quite like mine but think they would have been better as a 19" wheel to give it a slightly more premium look. Even so, they'll make a decent looking winter alloy to go with winter tyres in the ****ty weather months.

OZ is kinda the obvious choice, they're like the go to wheel company for anyone looking for something performance/track orientated for their car. If you want lightweight then go ahead but I think that most of their range would look a little out of place on the S3. BBS don't really have anything exceptional with their current range either in honesty.

There are some images of the internet (I think the link is on here somewhere.) of Audi testing what is believed to be the next RS3. The S3 sportback test mule they were using appears to have wheels on it that look to be the same design as the new RS4 and they look spot on IMHO. As the test mule doen;t appear to have wider wheel arches, I would think that Audi already have plans to make a wheel that will have a width, diameter and offset to suit the S3 but with the design language (and weight savings) of the RS4's wheels. For me, the OEM+ route is ideal and what I might wait for.

Failing that there is always the option of blowing £5,000+ on a set of ADV.1 wheels! Check out these beauties - ADV.1 Gallery | Audi ;)

I've seen that RS3 test mule and the wheels look very nice! They look amazing on the new RS4 too. There just didn't seem to be a good choice on this S3 for wheels. They do the 10 spokes on the RS5 in 19" which would have been better as they're a little more concaved. I'd have probably gone for them.
Might just save my cash for the RS3 when it comes instead of wasting more money on wheels! Only intended to keep the S3 for a year or 2 anyways.

I have good news :) The german tuner Siemoneit Racing postet yesterday on Facebook that they have access to the control unit and they are now offering tuning via OBD for Golf 7 GTI / R and Audi S3 :)

I have good news :) The german tuner Siemoneit Racing postet yesterday on Facebook that they have access to the control unit and they are now offering tuning via OBD for Golf 7 GTI / R and Audi S3 :)
Saw it also. Please post the prices and performances once they are revealed :)

RobH if you can get scorpion to fit a valve on there that's mmi controllable that would be brilliant! I'm in West Yorkshire too so wouldn't mind a look when it's done

Reactions: pat15312
RobH if you can get scorpion to fit a valve on there that's mmi controllable that would be brilliant! I'm in West Yorkshire too so wouldn't mind a look when it's done

Yes mate we can meet up and you can take a look no problem.

I've seen that RS3 test mule and the wheels look very nice! They look amazing on the new RS4 too. There just didn't seem to be a good choice on this S3 for wheels. They do the 10 spokes on the RS5 in 19" which would have been better as they're a little more concaved. I'd have probably gone for them.

Spot on, a 19" version of those wheel are standard spec on the RS5. Not sure how they would fit on the S3 though, the wheel itself is 1.5" wider and the tyre size stated is 40mm wider. Can't be certain without knowing the offset of both wheel or checking the clearances in the wheel arch but (at best) I'd anticipate they're to be at least a little rubbing without making any alterations at all i.e. arch rolling, wheel spacers, tyre stretch.

Hello all ...
pkobvnh
Ive been reading the thread with much interest becasuse im an owner of the new s3 and believe the chasis might handle effortlessly a bit more of power from the engine. although i am a bit concerned about the ability of the dsg gearbox to handle that much power. In my experience the 250q which is the same gearbox than the one i had in my mk6 gti wasnt designed to handle all tha torque and some cars in my country (peru) had problems with the gearbox because the extra torque. i cant imagine the difference in performance with 70 extra hp and 80 nm of torque, but im afraid it could have some consequences on the gearbox. the software added to the gearbox changes the software , like faster gearchanges , extra rpm redline limits and no automatic upshifts.. the problem to the gearbox affects the mecatronics and the clutch.

the s3 has 300 hp as standard but it has a detuned version for very hot places *( like australia) which goes to 280hp but stays with the same torque.

im eager to see the result with some ppl that might have actually tuned the s3 and their expereince with it. im so eager for those extra 70 hp ..

Asked awesome for a price on the neuspeeds, at 8.6kg there super light and with the potential saving in the Ti exhaust should drop a fair few kilos especially in rolling mass. I can't imagine the oem wheels are under 15kgs so that's at least 25kg weightsaving in the wheels.

Last edited:

Can someone explain what this means? Whats with the tuning via OBD?

It means the ECU can now be programmed directly.

No. Hence the reference to ODB. They can flash tune it through the port already available.