Where to buy rear beam

boothy94

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a decent rear axle/beam as mine is really corroded and I'm changing the bushes and putting her on coiles so want it done now rather than later. Or maybe somewhere I could get a new one and how much it would set me back?

audi a3 1.8 2000 3 door

Does the powder coating just make it more resistant to the elements?

So can I buy that as a rattle can and spray it myself? Sorry not done it before

Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermosetpolymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. Powder coating is mainly used for coating of metals, such ashousehold appliances, aluminium extrusions, drum hardware, and automobile and bicycle parts.
Stolen from Wikipedia.
Callum.

Where abouts in Somerset are you? There's a few breakers/scrap yards around, all of which are bound to have something mk4 based in.

Yeah, you'd have to send it off for powder-coating, again, there's a few places about that you could drop it into, it's not normally very expensive. Or you could just paint it, decent paint will last well anyway as long as it's prepped properly.

I'm from taunton. I will probably opt for primer and painting it then

Somewhere like High Quality Tools and Equipment | Frost Auto Restoration Techniques will do a suitable paint, have a search on their for chassis black, although getting it powdercoated I shouldn't think will be too much, plus they will shot blast it first aswell. I'd atleast get a quote for it before you dive into painting it.

Or if your feeling flush go for a new beam for the bargain price of £530+vat from audi :cool:

Last edited:
The scrap yard on Taunton Road in Bridgwater's usually my first call for those sort of bits locally, they're likely to have a mk4 based car of some sort in. There's also Audi4U in bridgy, and TSR may well know of one/where to get one.

Just FYI, I'm currently getting a front subframe, pair of lower arms and a few tin bits shot blasted and powder coated for my car for 50 quid. No brainer really for me, than prepping and spraying myself!

Reactions: Jay A3 and s3dave